You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placed or drag/dropped PDFs garbled

Hi,

I am trying to place some PDF files. They are consistently coming out garbled or with text missing somewhat randomly, but it seems this happens only when the PDF was produced by Preview on my Mac. When I place PDF files with the same content that were produced using a PHP program and various PHP libraries, they appear accurately.

This is a major issue as I have literally hundreds of these PDFs that worked fine with Ado$e products and am now trying to convert everything to Affinity.

Screenshot shows correct PDF text and the version that appears when dragged in. Yes, the font is installed on the computer. Any ideas for how to work around this?

Screenshot 2019-10-08 21.52.20.png

• Staff

Hi twaltzing,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to see you're having trouble, could you please provide a copy of this PDF to the following link so I can investigate this further? If this PDF uses a non Mac standard font please upload this here also -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/iiXtJXjeMiLhtPjiQuPy

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your file, I can replicate this issue here and therefore I'm logging this with our developers as a bug.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:30 PM, twaltzing said:

it seems this happens only when the PDF was produced by Preview on my Mac. When I place PDF files with the same content that were produced using a PHP program and various PHP libraries, they appear accurately.

Can you expand on your workflow here? As far as I'm aware Preview doesn't have the capability to create PDf files from scratch - are you loading a file in Preview then exporting it as a PDF? If so, what format is this file?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

PDFs placed into Publisher (and other Affinity apps) ignore any OpenType features applied to the text in the PDF.

So if the PDF contains OpenType Small Caps feature or variant Figure styling or Swashes etc. then these are ignored and the text reverts to the underlying core text.
Not good. Please can this be fixed and placed PDFs are fully respected.
Perhaps there is an option to remain as PDF or open as layered file?

Forgot to say that this occurs when the exact same font file is loaded and available.

The font should be picked up and used in full. If the PDF doesn't hold the OT styling info, then there needs to be an option to place the PDF as itself, not as an 'open file' – Text is resolution independent, not rasterised.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 7:32 AM, Dan C said:

Thanks for your file, I can replicate this issue here and therefore I'm logging this with our developers as a bug.

Can you expand on your workflow here? As far as I'm aware Preview doesn't have the capability to create PDf files from scratch - are you loading a file in Preview then exporting it as a PDF? If so, what format is this file?

The PDF files were produced using a PHP script. I then opened them in Preview and saved as Adobe PDF (because I was using InDesign at that point, and InDesign wouldn't recognize the PDFs produced by the PHP script -- the opposite of this issue.) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No luck in 1.8. Placing PDFs in Publisher still removes all OpenType font styling. Please add the functionality to place a PDF as a 'locked file' so its text resolution independent (not rasterised) and retains all the OpenType styling of the original PDF.

An obvious requirement is when a PDF contains a Passcode of Alphanumerical where the zeros have been styled with OT feature 'Slashed Zero' to avoid confusion with capital O or lowercase o. Placing the PDF example in a Publisher file currently changes the slashed zero to the standard zero rendering the example of the placed PDF doc useless. I know I can open the PDF and save it as 300 dpi page and place this, but this is a bit 'backward' InDesign allows this for years.