You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

wrong cursor at position

thetasig

AFPUB 1.7.3, OS X 10.13.6.

This is more of a visual nuisance than anything else, except when you need to be accurate when you "point and click". I've noted that there are a number of situations where the cursor should change based on its position, but it does not. Not clicking, just moving. For example, you might be using the Frame Text Tool so your cursor is a cross-hair with a "T" and if you move the cursor over to the "Tools" menu (left side, usually) the cursor might not change to a pointer. This seems to be fairly rare and random. Usually, if you click somewhere, the cursor will change to an appropriate type depending on where you click. But the simple movement of the cursor over the entire window can cause the wrong cursor to be displayed in certain places. I have seen just now the special cursor that displays when you hover over an edge of a window - usually to move that window's edge left-right or up-down. It "jammed" with that cursor while I was hovering over the swatches to add one to the global. The cursor isn't included in a screen shot (full screen) so not sure it can be captured. However, I did take a photo of the cursor hovering on the Pages panel while showing that special "move the window edge" cursor instead of a pointer. I had to attempt to get that cursor about eight times before the system obliged. I guess it's just the timing, maybe how fast the cursor is moving or some other positioning algorithm that's misbehaving.

IMG_4592.JPG

OK - please see enclosed screen video showing how to get that frozen cursor. Just move the cursor back and forth over the vertical line (any internal window's/panel's edge) until the cursor freezes. This can happen unexpectedly just working on the document - but I found out how to force the issue.

> "see enclosed screen video"    <– forgot to upload?

Glad you mention that issue! I'm experiencing a similar glitch when trying to use the vertical scroll bar in the main window. It's very hard to hit the 'perfect' position that seems to be offset. Instead, I change the width of the adjacent panel unintentionally.

I would not call it "more of a visual nuisance than anything else" but rather a bug of the UI.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.7.x . It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script.

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.8.3 release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon