You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Oval Fillet or non symetrical Corner Tool?

I have a need to round a lot of corners that i need a ovaloid fillet (1mm down one side of the corner and .6mm down the other)

Is there a way to do this that is not painstakingly by hand? (the shapes being rounded vary a lot, they used to be text that are now curves that I'm customizing)

I either need something like the corner tool were I get to pick HxW rather that simply R.  the image below shows the kind of corner shape im after. i know how to do it manually, however this would be completely unrealistic and frankly sloppy, i have hundreds to do and im sure it will come up again and again.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 10.43.02 AM.png

there is nothing of that kind in Affinity but maybe make a request here in the meantime what about this process...

Draw an Oval and place it like so
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-21-38-09.png

Draw a triangle like in the image below
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-21-39-01.png

Arrange the layers like so and make sure the triangle has a fill
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-21-40-05.png

Select the triangle and the oval and do a boolean subtract
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-21-40-29.png

You should end up with this
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-21-40-48.png

Now select the triangle again and also the shape and boolean subtract again, is this the kind of thing you want, i.e. the result.
Screen-Shot-2019-10-09-at-21-41-16.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

yeah i totally know how to do it the long way around like that, but with each letter having many corners, and in my case the letters are often rotated and doing it for inner and outer lines, a simple graphic can have a few hundred of these corners, and god forbid you decide you want them "just a tiny bit less".   but year, ill write up a feature request, though honestly they need to work on way way more important things first (expand stroke anyone??)

If you are using Affinity Designer, it has Expand Stroke: Layer > Expand Stroke

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Rivka, this sounds interesting but, if this sort of tool was available, how would you specify which ‘side’ of the corner had the ‘short curve’ without doing each corner individually/manually?

good question,

i had something like this in a cad program way back when and you set it one way of the other (very similar to landscape or portrait orientation in the document set up) and could go and swap any corners back and forth fairly easy. 

I think what you need is something like this: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/add-a-new-type-of-fillet-asymmetric-fillet/idi-p/7642979 but in 2D.
However, as you say, you would have to adjust some corners manually as needed if the default orientation wasn’t what you wanted in each case.
Sounds like this could be a reasonable feature request to me as it could be useful to a lot of people. The asymmetric quality could also be extended to the other corner types for even more creativity.
In the meantime, I have a few ideas that I want to try to see if it can be done in a less-manual way within Designer as it currently stands.

There may be another workaround way for certian situations ... do the normal circular corner tool and choose the largest radius out of the two you want, then bake the corner choose the two nodes at the sides of the curve and select the 'transform mode' icon in the context bar at the top, which you can then use to squash the corner up a bit. Not very accurate but depending on the exact requirements might work in some cases? It's certainly easier and less cumbersome than the boolean method, but is going to be less accurate of course.

4 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Go Inkscape then to get the work done: :D

crap i hate that program. i got it and learned how to deal with its cranky ass to use it for expand stroke  and envelope distort features and wow its sucks. mind you it is insanely powerful, amazingly so. but wow talk about slow, unintuitive, inconsistent. literally everything that Designer is not.  its amazing how my very mood and mental health changed the afternoon i had to use it. i will keep it in my arsenal and im glad its there for when nothing else works, but yuck.

and while i have no doubt it does 1000 cool things every day, the example you show above is not the same as i am asking for. that is a rectangular that has symmetrical corner fillets and then has been warped, its still symmetrical fillets.  and the point is that i need to do the fillets to shaped after they are created, i can be off warping them.

15 hours ago, Rivka said:

the example you show above is not the same as i am asking for. that is a rectangular that has symmetrical corner fillets and then has been warped, its still symmetrical fillets.

It´s a perspective distortion:

But to whom am I talking?

PerspectiveDistortion.gif.05a01fd6cf21af615f1ccef7ec051334.gif in APPerspectiveDistortionAP.gif.d312b5827f00e673be9c75f0cf98922d.gif