You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preparing file for offset print in two colours

Hi,

I have problems with preparing file (book) for offset print in two colours black and P285U.

In five places in the book I used image (like in attach), BW image with colour overlay in spot colour. When I export file in pdf this image convert in cmyk.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

primjer.JPG

@Lagarto

I see now. If you place a Greyscale image, and you have the "K Only" contextual button selected, you can apply a spot color to the grey values in the image.

I suppose one could place a positive and a negative version of an image in greyscale (perfectly aligned), and then apply a different spot color to each version of the image to manufacture a duotone effect between any two spot colors.

Pretty kludgy though. 

Would be better if Photo handled spot color channels and allowed users to produce duotone, tritone and quad tone images for placement in Publisher.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 8.07.27 PM.png

@Lagarto

Place a greyscale image in Publisher. You'll see the "K Only" contextual button in the toolbar. I believe this must be toggled on in order to apply a spot color. No?

I was interested to learn from you that Serif's layer effects including the very useful gradient map automatically converts everything to CMYK equivalents. Unfortunate that spots are not honored there.

I also tried experimenting with the Blend Options in the Layers panel to see if I could make use of the curves there for a duotone effect. Unfortunately this approach also converts everything to CMYK equivalents.

Not the end of the world, but gets in the way of creative two-color jobs, and other special effects in an otherwise standard CMYK job.