You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Generate styles on pdf import based on content

I'm transitioning from InDesign and trying to learn Publisher, like many of you I guess. While we can't import indesign files I've found that as a starting point importing pdfs actually works surprisingly well, so good job on that. One thing that for me would make importing pdfs even more useful is if Publisher would take the imported document and generate a set of text and paragraph styles based on the content of the imported document.

It won't know what to call them, and won't always get it right, but based on amount of text, font size etc it should be doable to at least generate a guessed title, sub title and body text style for example. With those already set and assigned to the corresponding paragraphs in the document it would be a lot smoother to then start working with the document.

Yeah, I read about the plans regarding IDML. Having an IDML converter is great, but that relies on you having access to the original indesign file and InDesign to convert the file before importing into Publisher. It's also not mutually exclusive to getting a simple estimate of styles when importing a pdf document that may or may not be made from InDesign.