You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ligatures for Whitman font don't work

It looks like ligatures for the Whitman font don't work. I've attached two files, the one titled "2016_01_18_trolls.pdf" is from InDesign and you can see the word "field" has correctly combined the f and the i. The second file titled "upTheHill.pdf" is from Affinity Designer with the same font (Whitman / RomanLF / 11pt) and ligatures turned on, but the f and the i are not combined.

Cheers,
Raphael

2016_01_18_trolls.pdf

upTheHill.pdf

Seems to be okay here... I've simply opened your upTheHill pdf in Publisher and also recreated the line in question. Both your pdf and the recreated text are displaying the ligature correctly, despite the source pdf showing the ligature incorrectly in Acrobat Reader and Preview.

Exporting to a new pdf seems to be fine as well... so not quite sure what is happening.

Note: I don't have the Electral font on my system, hence the drop cap 'I' is displayed using a different font.

upTheHill.afpub

upTheHill Recreated.pdf

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Thanks for the sanity check, Hangman. When I open your upTheHill.afpub file, the ligature is not displayed correctly. Something fishy on my system, maybe the font isn't installed correctly ... but it's working in InDesign. Weird. Will report back if I figure out what it is.

Cheers,
Raphael

No problem... I'm also curious as to how you created the pdf because it is shown as being a PDF Version 1.3 file which as far as I'm aware Publisher can't output directly?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

That makes more sense now and the new file you attached is a Version 1.7 pdf which is the default for that preset.

Again it opens in Publisher with ligatures intact for me, so it does sound as though something odd is happening font wise at your end, though I'm not quite sure what because the font is recognised as Whitman when opening the pdf!

@raphaelmatto
The PDF shows your Whitman font is Type 1.
Perhaps APub is having an issue with this type of old ligatures.

@Hangman
Your PDF shows your Whitman font is True Type (CID).
Assuming this is probably an OpenType TTF font.
Perhaps it would be good to have raphaelmatto test with this font.

@raphaelmatto
I have the OpenType OTF version of this font.
If you want to test I can PM it to you.

2 hours ago, raphaelmatto said:

@LibreTraining
Yes, I'd love to test, thank you! Please send it my way. I won't be able to test until next Friday fyi.

OK. I will PM you a link to a 7z with two fonts in it.
Apparently the "LF" fonts are an older version (2003).
It appears the TTF font is an actual old TrueType font, not an OpenType TTF font.
The 2016 version I have is an OpenType OTF file (PostScript outlines).
So I will send both the TTF and the OTF.
Please test both and let us know how it works.
My guess is the old Type1 font ligatures is the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @LibreTraining , I tested both fonts and ligatures do work in both. You didn't include the italic/bold/etc versions of the font, so I can't test those.

I'll PM you the version of Whitman I own. There would value added to Publisher if support could be added for whatever font tech I'm using ... since folks may be scared away b/c they'll have to re-purchase fonts that work in ID.

Cheers,
Raphael

• Staff

The Affinity handling of fonts should improve over time.

23 hours ago, raphaelmatto said:

You didn't include the italic/bold/etc versions of the font, so I can't test those.

Having now tested and proven the Open Type standard font works in practice, it is for you to purchase the font and it's variants, not to share them by PM.

Whitman is a copyrighted font family designed by Kent Lew and published by Font Bureau, 2004 – 2008.

https://store.typenetwork.com/foundry/fontbureau/series/whitman?family=whitman

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor, of course. To be clear, the purpose of sending my copy of Whitman to Serif is to add support to Publisher for the font tech I already own. I'm under the impression Serif may not have come across the font tech before. Or maybe they don't plan to support the old font tech. Either way, it seems important to pass them the data, so they can reproduce the issue on their end, and decide how to proceed w/product decisions. They shared the Open Type font with me for the same reason—to test/debug & improve their product. I'm happy to participate in a little debugging, if it might help make a product I want to use, usable.

• Staff

7 minutes ago, raphaelmatto said:

the purpose of sending my copy of Whitman to Serif ....

and

8 minutes ago, raphaelmatto said:

Either way, it seems important to pass them the data, so they can reproduce the issue on their end,

That is fine, but I am not aware of you sharing any fonts with Serif, only with another private member, hence my comment. Which member of Serif has these fonts please?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@raphaelmatto

Wow. Those are really old. :D

My understanding is that bmap files are for old Mac screen fonts.
I doubt you are going to get Affinity to add support for those as they are basically obsolete.

I appears the only ligature support in APub is for Unicode fonts (original TTF and newer OpenType OTF/TTF).
So any flavor of pre-unicode fonts such as Type1 or older TTF is not going to work.

Thanks, @LibreTraining !

I also have Whitman in "PostScript Type 1 outline font," according to my Finder's "kind" property, & that doesn't work either. & heaps & heaps of other fonts of those types that work fine in ID. So I won't be switching to Publisher yet. But worth a shot! Always good to point out blockers for particular users, even if it might be an edge case :)

Cheers,
Raphael