You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to PREVENT Selective Color from Affecting Certain Parts of An Image

For about the past decade, red maples have been disappearing from my region of the northeast U.S. The stray red maple on a mountainside will be filled with worm-holes or other blemishes. The same is not true for leaves of trees that turn gold. Last night, after Selective Color or HSL or any other color-altering operation turned tree trunks purple and other red-minimal objects in a landscape the color of wine, I started going from leaf to leaf, using the "Magic Wand" on each leaf in an image, and then using a Paint Brush to paint it red. In addition to being crushingly time-consuming, the affects of Paint on a decidedly YELLOW or GREEN leaf do not desaturate those colors, rendering the red Paint on the leaf a kind of sickly brown. (So I would also like to know how to "drain" color from an image before Recolor...iz...ing(?) it.)

I Selected with the Freehand Selection Tool certain regions of the image, hoping that the Selective Color Adjustment Tool would affect only the selected region. Unfortunately, making a selection had no affect at all on the "All-or-Nothing" alteration of the entire image's color. 

I made a Mask of a region that absolutely could not turn Red or Purple or Wine-colored. But all that did was promote the Mask to a Layer and blot out the rest of the image. 

In any event, if there is a way to have Selective Color affect only the selected region, I'd appreciate knowing. Whether yay or nay, it will at least save me time.

Thank you.

@catlover Mr. Sarikas is witty and great to watch. I've learned a great deal from his charming manner. Amateur photo-editors are not in need of lecture-hall tones by geniuses who assume one has a degree in Physics or Math, and Mr. Sarikas gets this. However, I'd like to avoid subscribing to any Patreon page at the present time. Thank you!

On 10/9/2019 at 12:39 PM, guest-354025 said:

I Selected with the Freehand Selection Tool certain regions of the image, hoping that the Selective Color Adjustment Tool would affect only the selected region. Unfortunately, making a selection had no affect at all on the "All-or-Nothing" alteration of the entire image's color. 

If you have selections on your image then adding a Selective Color Adjustment Layer should only affect those selected areas

Just make sure you make the selections before adding the Selective Color Adjustment Layer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

If you have selections on your image then adding a Selective Color Adjustment Layer should only affect those selected areas

Just make sure you make the selections before adding the Selective Color Adjustment Layer

@catlover Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. (I watched Olivio Sarikas' video on Masks--released yesterday--on Youtube; and unfortunately he does not address this issue of Selective Color. The video is otherwise fantastic.) HOWEVER, you articulated what is maybe a bug (?) in my 1.7.3., because I did exactly what you say here, and Selective Color "ignored" the selection and proceeded to turn all my image the color of wine... which in general, might be a welcome thing xD, but not now. I want to maintain certain parts of my image the shade of a hearty ale or even stout. :24_stuck_out_tongue:

I'm starting to wonder if Affinity and my ten-year-old Dell, which I will never desert, do not like each other. That is why I'm asking also (on another thread), "How old is too old" for Affinity to be be used successfully on a given system. 

It might be that your faithfull 10 year-old Dell is techno-wise a little outdated - (32 bit technology maybe ?).

Whereas All Aff Products are based on 64 bit.

In other words, it"ll find it hard to keep up wth the lightning speed processing of Affinity.

@catlover No, it's 64-bit. Selecting by Freehand (or any other selection method) the area I want to work on simply does not work, but thank you for the response. I'm beginning to wonder if all these years I have been watching videos and tutorials done on the latest fastest Apple product, while I as a member of the Great Unwashed have been trying  to replicate them on a Windows. Sorry to be opinionated here, but as I find Apple the most brazenly classist corporation on the face of the earth, this might mean having to give up photo-editing. (Give it up except for very simple manipulations.) Today's my birthday, and it's one heck of a disappointment to think that all these years, no one ever said, "You have to be working on an Apple product for this software to truly work." I have wasted SO many hours and SO many days.

Happy Birthday !:D

BTW:
For precisely that reason I dumped Windows when, with the advent of Win10, they forced me to give up the applications 
I used to work with : they would no longer work with Win10. So I figured I'm done with Windows and made the switch to Apple.
Now, it turns out  that Apple is going the same road with their new OS "Catalina" : 32bit no longer supported, so
dear customers, if you want to use your customary programs go out and spend your money on new software.
We, the users, can't win - ever ! Well, I'm a pensioner and I simply can't afford it. Which means I'm sticking with OS Mojave
and see what happens - I've seen grumblings about Catalina already.

8 hours ago, catlover said:

Happy Birthday !:D

BTW:
For precisely that reason I dumped Windows when, with the advent of Win10, they forced me to give up the applications 
I used to work with : they would no longer work with Win10. So I figured I'm done with Windows and made the switch to Apple.
Now, it turns out  that Apple is going the same road with their new OS "Catalina" : 32bit no longer supported, so
dear customers, if you want to use your customary programs go out and spend your money on new software.
We, the users, can't win - ever ! Well, I'm a pensioner and I simply can't afford it. Which means I'm sticking with OS Mojave
and see what happens - I've seen grumblings about Catalina already.

@catlover  Oh, man, am I glad for your help today and responses. I do believe a dearly beloved but departed "daughter" is speaking through a Catlover on my birthday. (Call me crazy, I don't care!) The Sarikas "Mask like a PRO" video WORKED! My Affinity image no longer looks drunk on a rich Bordeaux. Man, am I grateful.

Second, if you're not from the U.S., the "everyone can grow up to be president" place, you might not appreciate anti-Apple sentiment as much as a U.S. person. I have an Ipad only because I have to take notes on a daily basis, and the Pro is so much lighter than my "doctor's office" Fujitsu. I use it for other apps it gives Ipad users smidgens--but just smidgens--of. Such as Garageband (need a Mac). Such as IMovies (almost threw the damn thing out the window with this P.O.S. app). Such as absolutely every app they give Oliver Twists a bowl of gruel of to make them, us, think, wow, Steve Jobs is smiling down on me from the Sweet Hereafter. Oh, yes--an Apple TV box, because it cost only $99 and I can watch U.S. networks for free... only on an Apple TV. Yes. The U.S. television networks and Apple form a solid front.

Anyhow, since fighting classism has been my religion as long as I've been alive, and since I'm a pensioner as well, I truly want to thank you for giving me your time today. I'd give any spare money to a charity (probably a cat charity) before I'd give one cent to Apple for any tepid pleasure its baubles might bring me.

Thank you.