You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello gang

Am using Affinity Designer in Window 10 & have a page saved to create several small 440px x 220px images (see image a)

When i go to file/export, then selection without background to export each individual image as a png the size comes up as size 441px x 221px (image b)

It's not a huge problem to change of course, but does anyone know why?

Regards

Pete

Image a.jpg

Image b.jpg

You’re welcome.
You can set Force Pixel Alignment and Move By Whole Pixels (on the toolbar) but that doesn’t always work as snapping seems to override these and any pre-existing fractional measures are kept as-is. However, turning snapping off should let these work fine, as long as you have these settings on before you place your image.

It happens in other software too. It's because if you take a one pixel line and position it half a pixel to the left (the fractional part of the position) it needs to now render that across two pixels (it will most likely do two half opacity lines instead of one full opacity line), to make it look like that's where it is sat. It's called antialiasing and is the whole reason the 'snap to pixel' style constraints exist.

56 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You can set Force Pixel Alignment and Move By Whole Pixels (on the toolbar) but that doesn’t always work as snapping seems to override these and any pre-existing fractional measures are kept as-is. However, turning snapping off should let these work fine, as long as you have these settings on before you place your image.

Move By Whole Pixels does exactly what it says it does, which is to force every move to change by a whole pixel (integer number) amount. So for example, if the x coordinate is currently at 53.3 px, dragging the layer around will preserve the 0.3 px fraction on each drag.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

From what I can tell, exporting a document via the Export dialog with one of the “Selection…” options set doesn’t export the selected layer(s), rather it exports the document cropped to the extents of the boundary of the selected layer(s). This subtle difference, coupled with the partial-pixel positioning gives the extra width/height as found by Gigatronix Pete and explained by Dazzler above.

I would suggest that the two “Selection…” options in the Export dialog are renamed as “Cropped to Selection…” to make the difference a bit clearer.

Note: If you want to export a layer without reference to the document, a Slice can be created in the Export Persona which ‘ignores’ the underlying document and only exports what is in the slice regardless of what else is in the document or where the slice is located in the document.

R-CR: Absolutely. I was just trying to show that these settings don’t always work in the way the user might expect from their names. For example, Force Pixel Alignment doesn’t necessarily force alignment to pixels if Move By Whole Pixels is also on and the layer is not already aligned with the document pixels. There’s a subtlety there that needs to be learned (and I keep forgetting).

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

From what I can tell, exporting a document via the Export dialog with one of the “Selection…” options set doesn’t export the selected layer(s), rather it exports the document cropped to the extents of the boundary of the selected layer(s).

I would expect the ‘Selection without background’ option to yield the selected layer(s) only. If it instead yields a cropped version of the document, the option needs renaming.

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Force Pixel Alignment doesn’t necessarily force alignment to pixels if Move By Whole Pixels is also on and the layer is not already aligned with the document pixels

I’ve commented/complained several times about the ‘Move By Whole Pixels’ option being presented as a child of ‘Force Pixel Alignment’. This arrangement means that (a) you have to enable the parent option in order to change the child option, and (b) the child option overrides the parent option instead of refining it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’ve commented/complained several times about the ‘Move By Whole Pixels’ option being presented as a child of ‘Force Pixel Alignment’. This arrangement means that (a) you have to enable the parent option in order to change the child option, and (b) the child option overrides the parent option instead of refining it.

I think of it neither as a 'child' nor presented as such. It is just an optional additional constraint on how pixel alignment is forced. it can't force anything to happen unless the Force Pixel Alignment option also is enabled, thus it is not overriding that option, just further restricting it.

If you think of it in boolean terms as "Force Pixel Alignment and Move By Whole Pixels" does it make more sense?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Alfred: I’ve just done a quick check and “Selection Without Background” doesn’t look like it exports the background but it does still add the extra pixel width/height when exporting a layer that isn’t on the pixel boundaries. Either the export function isn’t working how it should or it needs to be renamed, but I’d say that would be for others to decide.

R-CR: I still think it’s confusing. What does “Move by Whole Pixels” give us on top of “Force Pixel Alignment”? If we’re already aligning to the pixels via “Force Pixel Alignment” we are surely moving by whole pixels anyway, so what’s the extra option of “Move by Whole Pixels” for? I just don’t get it.

Here’s where I stand on the issue (quickly typed as I have to leave soon):
If the two options “Force Pixel Alignment” (FPA) and “Move By Whole Pixels” (MBWP) were separate options then I could understand what they did.
FPA and MBWP = OFF – No restrictions. That’s fine and dandy.
FPA = ON – Everything is positioned on pixel boundaries. That’s fine and easy to understand.
MBWP = ON – Everything can be positioned without being on a pixel boundary but any movement will be a multiple of whole pixels while keeping any fractional pixel positioning. That’s fine and easy to understand too.
What I don’t understand is what having both FPA and MBWP ON at the same time does.
What we get is: Everything can be positioned without being on a pixel boundary but any movement will be a multiple of whole pixels while keeping any fractional pixel positioning. Which is exactly what we get with MBWP by itself.
For me the only allowable options should be:

• Neither FPA or MBWP are on, or,
  • FPA can be on by itself, or,
  • MBWP can be on by itself.

But both FPA and MBWP cannot be both on at the same time as they are mutually exclusive (as Alfred said). Allowing sub-pixel positioning, which MBWP does, goes completely against aligning with whole pixels, which is what FPA does. You can’t both align with something and not align with it at the same time.

23 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I still think it’s confusing. What does “Move by Whole Pixels” give us on top of “Force Pixel Alignment”? If we’re already aligning to the pixels via “Force Pixel Alignment” we are surely moving by whole pixels anyway, so what’s the extra option of “Move by Whole Pixels” for? I just don’t get it.

From the Help for Force Pixel Alignment (Designer):

Move By Whole Pixels

In addition to Force Pixel Alignment, the Move By Whole Pixels option allows you to constrain the movement of objects, nodes and handles to whole pixels.

Move By Whole Pixels is particularly useful for repositioning an object by a particular pixel distance while also maintaining the relevant partial pixels an object occupies.

So, basically, if you have intentionally sized or placed an object to occupy partial pixels, then having Move By Whole Pixels active allows you to maintain that object's size/position, while forcing other objects to whole pixel boundaries.

Edit: Note, this may only make sense if you're doing a pixel art design that requires, e.g., lines to be centered on a pixel boundary. That is, the line will start on a .5px and end on the next .5px, with the center of the line at the pixel boundary. But I'm not sure, as I can't claim to really understand the use case.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

So, basically, if you have intentionally sized or placed an object to occupy partial pixels, then having Move By Whole Pixels active allows you to maintain that object's size/position, while forcing other objects to whole pixel boundaries.

In other words, ‘Move By Whole Pixels’ for existing objects but ‘Force Pixel Alignment’ for new objects. That does make some kind of sense, but it still begs the question of why the MBWP option should be nested under the FPA option.

Alfred spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In other words, ‘Move By Whole Pixels’ for existing objects but ‘Force Pixel Alignment’ for new objects. That does make some kind of sense, but it still begs the question of why the MBWP option should be nested under the FPA option.

I think so, yes. And it's nested because without FPA then MBWP doesn't make sense. It's an aspect of forcing pixel alignment at all.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If you think of it in boolean terms as "Force Pixel Alignment and Move By Whole Pixels" does it make more sense?

No it doesn’t, unless we’re talking about new objects versus existing objects as discussed above. When moving an existing object which is not on a pixel boundary you can’t force pixel alignment if ‘Move By Whole Pixels’ takes precedence, and if moving an existing object which is on a pixel boundary the ‘Move By Whole Pixels’ option forces it to end up on another pixel boundary and thereby makes the ‘Force Pixel Alignment’ option redundant.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

[MBWP is] an aspect of forcing pixel alignment at all.

The way I see it, MBWP is an aspect of not forcing pixel alignment! ;)

Alfred spacer.png

40 minutes ago, Alfred said:

When moving an existing object which is not on a pixel boundary you can’t force pixel alignment if ‘Move By Whole Pixels’ takes precedence ...

You can't force pixel alignment at all unless "Force Pixel Alignment" is enabled. So "Move By Whole Pixels" is not 'taking precedence' over "Force Pixel Alignment," just forcing the alignment to change by integer amounts. Either way, it is a force option.

EDIT: So just like what Walt quoted from the help topic it is an addition to the option, not a replacement for it.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but where do you see the MBWP option nested under the FPA option? I don't see that anywhere on my Mac -- the only place those two items appear is side by side on the toolbar in the snapping button set -- so is this some Windows only thing or have I missed some other place where those items appear in the UI?

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

MBWP option nested under the FPA option? I don't see that anywhere on my Mac

Not literally 'under'. Try to turn move by... on or off when Force Pixel Alignment is off. Can't be done.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Not literally 'under'. Try to turn move by... on or off when Force Pixel Alignment is off. Can't be done.

So doesn't that at least strongly hint that Move By Whole Pixels is an addition to the Force Pixel Alignment option & not an alternative to it?

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

So doesn't that at least strongly hint that Move By Whole Pixels is an addition to the Force Pixel Alignment option & not an alternative to it?

I've always thought of it as an additional constraint, however the two can't really co-exist, so the MBWP takes precedence. Personally I think if you turn on the MBWP it should turn off the FPA button, as that clearly no longer applies.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but where do you see the MBWP option nested under the FPA option?

Literally "under" (physically and nested), on Windows:

fpa.png.a8a0d7080ebed80ae7902ebd23302561.png

(Compare, for example, with "Snap to spread" and "Include spread mid points", or with "Snap to margin" and "Include margin mid points", etc.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

I've always thought of it as an additional constraint, however the two can't really co-exist, so the MBWP takes precedence. Personally I think if you turn on the MBWP it should turn off the FPA button, as that clearly no longer applies.

But it does apply, for new objects that you create. With Force Pixel Alignment (FPA) on (even with Move by Whole Pixels (MBWP) on) a new object you create will have integer x/y pixel values, and integer width/height pixel values.

But you can move that new object ignoring FPA using the Alt key or the Transform panel, and put it on a non-integer x/y value. And then MBWP will keep it on that non-integer value if you move it using the Move Tool without using the Alt key.

-- Walt
PC: