You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text on a Curve - to Rasterize or Not to Rasterize??

I am loving using Paul Mudditt's Mud's Macros V3,  however, sometimes I get there ........... and sometimes not.  Despite a few hours, I have not worked out

what I may be doing wrong (some of the time).   It seems to all come back to the beginning of the sequence.  I create a New Document, then create a shape (usually

a crescent).  I place the Text tool slightly to the right of centre of the Curve -  which is crucial as I understand --- (a) to identify the start point   (b) to identify the

size of the font.  Then I invoke the macro.  At this point the flashing cursor often disappears for whatever reason.  It may be because the layer is not rasterized, or

because of there is no (coloured) background.  However, I have tried fixing both, but still get the problem most times.   A couple of times, I have realised that the 

text and background colour are the same, so obviously the lettering does not show, however, even when I have the text as black, still the problem persists! 

This is doing my head in, so if you can suggest what to do??

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Here is the link to Pauls Macros: Mud’s Macros V3

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

49 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Here is the link to Pauls Macros: Mud’s Macros V3

That seems to be a link that downloads the .afmacros file. Is there a post in the forums or elsewhere that describes the included macros & how to use them?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, Jaffa said:

I create a New Document, then create a shape (usually

a crescent).  I place the Text tool slightly to the right of centre of the Curve -  which is crucial as I understand --- (a) to identify the start point   (b) to identify the

size of the font.  Then I invoke the macro.  At this point the flashing cursor often disappears for whatever reason.  It may be because the layer is not rasterized, or

because of there is no (coloured) background.  However, I have tried fixing both, but still get the problem most times.   A couple of times, I have realised that the 

text and background colour are the same, so obviously the lettering does not show, however, even when I have the text as black, still the problem persists! 

1. You do not need to do anything with the Text Tool before running the macro. Just create your vector shape or path, and with it selected, run the macro. That will turn the shape/path into a Curve Text or Path Text object, and will insert some sample text. You will end up with the Artistic Text Tool active, and the cursor at the start of the text.
  2. To adjust the start/end points drag the colored triangles.

3. Next, delete that text. You can then set the font, font size, and stroke color you want in the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

That seems to be a link that downloads the .afmacros file. Is there a post in the forums or elsewhere that describes the included macros & how to use them?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@walt.farrell, thanks for the link. For some reason I could not find it using the forum search function when I tried that several hours ago. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For some reason I could not find it using the forum search function when I tried that several hours ago.

Odd.

It worked easily for me once I spelled Mud's correctly :)

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

FWIW, over the last few days I have noticed other odd forum behaviors as well, like the little red badge on the notification icon at the top of the page not appearing even when I get a notification of a new post at the bottom of the forum page I am viewing, both of which always used to work in sync, & sometimes jpeg or png attachments to topic posts taking much longer than before to appear on the page.

It is as if the forum servers are overloaded & can't keep up with the demand, or something like that.

Affinity Photo 

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:
  1. You do not need to do anything with the Text Tool before running the macro. Just create your vector shape or path, and with it selected, run the macro. That will turn the shape/path into a Curve Text or Path Text object, and will insert some sample text. You will end up with the Artistic Text Tool active, and the cursor at the start of the text.
  2. To adjust the start/end points drag the colored triangles.

3. Next, delete that text. You can then set the font, font size, and stroke color you want in the Context Toolbar.

Thanks Walt, it seems that I have been trying to overthink the process.  At least, in the meantime, our little group of seniors can now confidently use that method. 

Nevertheless, in due course I will try to work out how sometimes I managed to set the font size, etc, to speed things up - it did work just great.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology