You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling/transforming doesn't work on group containing text.

Bobbie

Hey guys,

I was recently designing a brochure in Publisher and I was simply trying to scale a group but for whatever reason it was not working how I thought it should work.

Example - I had 2 placed images, a vector curve and some copy and headline text in a group. I wanted to scale the group proportionally and make it bigger, but when I did so the images and the vector curve scaled correctly and the headline text and copy pretty much stayed the same size. No matter which way I tried to do this it didn't work...I just ended up doing this manually (scaling the text manually and separately even though the headline and text was in a group) not sure what I'm doing wrong but I hope it's a simple fix..... 

This seems like a basic thing to be able to do (works in Indesign haha)

Thanks in advance.

> I hope it's a simple fix..... 

It seems to be. What if you select all objects (no need to group) and use the outer handle in the bottom right corner to scale them?

2093983932_scalemultipleselected.jpg.30060b5f67794989d6701cdae57b4150.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, zeeloop said:

Well, this ist not exactly the way how scaling a group of objects should work in 2021!

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Would you mind specifying what is not working right for you in 2021? It seems this original post was just a misunderstanding about which handle to grab (one of which scales just the text frame and one of which also scales the text). 

Hi!

I think the problem lies in the inability to reliably scale objects or groups of objects by entering a certain percentage instead of having to calculate the actual width/height in exact dimensions first.

Maybe I just didn't find the appropriate panel for this. Playing around with designs often you want to downscale objects to 50% or 30% of the original size. Do do this, I can enter 30 (including the % key and activating the lock proportions sign) into the width or height field of the transform panel. But, unfortunately all (Text Frame-)Texts are being disregarded here.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, zeeloop said:

Playing around with designs often you want to downscale objects to 50% or 30% of the original size. Do do this, I can enter 30 (including the % key and activating the lock proportions sign) into the width or height field of the transform panel. But, unfortunately all (Text Frame-)Texts are being disregarded here.

Hi zeeloop,
Welcome to the Affinity forums!

Indeed scaling frame texts numerically by % indeed still has an odd limitation "by design" for an app which is meant to be specialized for designing text. Currently for scaling a bunch of text frames + font sizes numerically there seems to be a workaround only: To scale the entire document, as discussed and mentioned in this topic:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1