Ok I have spent way to much time trying to figure this out...

Ive created a diagram using curves.

It took a while, but I successfully navigated Affinity Designer's method of breaking apart curves on a circle to create the YinYang shape I was after.

Problem is, I was able to connect the open nodes of the curves in all cases except for the "tails" of the shapes. I just cant get the endpoints to fuse together for a closed shape.

How in the heck do you do that?! I have attached screenshots and the actual file.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 6.47.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 6.48.07 PM.png

Yin Yang w Trigrams.afdesign

I am myself also learning to use Affinity apps so I'm not sure if I can really be of any help.

I have struggled with joining of separate curves, as well, because it is not done similarly as in CorelDRAW or Illustrator. E.g., in the latter you can have two separate paths and then node edit them so that the start node of the second path starts from the end node of the first one, and if you want a closed shape, the end node of the second path meets the start node of the first path. Then you select the paths with the object tool and just press Ctrl + J to fuse the nodes and get a closed curve, without the shape of the curves having changed.

In Affinity Designer it seems I need to use the Node tool to Shift select the paths to be joined and then click the "Join curves" button. This fuses the end and start nodes of separate paths (with a line segment if they are not aligned, otherwise fusing and keeping the slope of the curve), but it does not close the curve and fuse the start and end nodes if they meet, nor does it allow to close the shape by joining the start and end nodes of joined segments. Instead, you need to close the curve with the "Close curve" button, which typically results in crazy curve handles and distorted shape. I must be doing something wrong. 

I managed to close your Yin Yang shape, but had to use the original shape as a model to reshape the forms after joining and closing, which is of course not ideal.

I merged the shapes to get the "white" parts transparent so that you can have the background color show through from "holes", but if you prefer to have the circle parts black and white you would separate the curves and assign the white color to where it belongs.

Yin Yang w Trigrams_edited.afdesign

Thanks Lagarto,

I was planning on merging some of the elements for a cut-through effect. Good idea.

But even after Closing the Curve, still, the beginning and ending points are not fused. When I move one of them, there is a line between them but they dont become the same point. Weirdly difficult. How do I fuse a beginning and endpoint that overlap?

Yes, this is (for me, too) a good question. I must simply be missing something as I cannot do this satisfactorily.

See the attached afdesign document for an example of trying to close two curves by fusing their overlapping nodes.

1) In uppermost pair, the end node 5 of "A" and start node 1 of "B" can be fused and the shape retained by selecting both curves with the Node tool (by Shift clicking them), and clicking "Join curves" button.

2) But when trying to close the now combined curve (the middle pair) with the Close curves button, the start and end nodes A1 and B5 are not fused. They remain two nodes. 

There is one one way I have figured out to actually fuse the nodes, and that is by manually dragging B5 over A1 (or vice versa). But then the shape is distorted (see image below).

I trust that there is a method to close the curve effectively so that the overlapping start and end nodes are fused, and the shape of the curve retained, but I just cannot see the obvious (?) method to do it.

In Illustrator you would just select with Object tool the curves A and B and press Ctrl+J to join curves, and A5 & B1, and B5 & A1 would be fused.

In CorelDRAW you'd first need to combine the curves but then you can use node edit tool to select A5 and B1 and click "Join two nodes" button, and repeat for B5 and A1.

So as it is, I'd just leave the overlapping start and end nodes and keep the shape, or then copy the shape for a model, and perform manual fusing, or simply remove the other node, and reshape the curve using the model.

simple_close.jpg.a06a1e1665eefbbd282f513ed92e6cd5.jpg

Simple_close.afdesign

I think that what you both want to do is Join the curves, which is different from Closing a single curve.

From the Designer Help for Edit Vector Curves and Shapes:

To join curves:

1. With the Node Tool (hold down the Ctrl key if using the Pen Tool), hold down with the Shift key and select both curves.
  2. Click Join Curves image.png.a76db0f5443127d2af680ee6c0b1fbf5.png on the context toolbar.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.523 Beta

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think that what you both want to do is Join the curves, which is different from Closing a single curve.

From the Designer Help for Edit Vector Curves and Shapes:

To join curves:

1. With the Node Tool (hold down the Ctrl key if using the Pen Tool), hold down with the Shift key and select both curves.
  2. Click Join Curves image.png.a76db0f5443127d2af680ee6c0b1fbf5.png on the context toolbar.

Ive tried that a dozen times. When you do it, does it make the beginning and endpoint of the curve a single node? When I do it, it does not. They remain separate points. Thus the issue.

1 hour ago, thomasbricker said:

Ive tried that a dozen times. When you do it, does it make the beginning and endpoint of the curve a single node? When I do it, it does not. They remain separate points. Thus the issue.

It should work in Lagarto's example, because that one has two curves, which must be joined. If you have a single curve, then you would need to close the curve, not join it (joining requires two).

My main point, I think, was about terminology.

But yes, if I properly overlay the endpoints of both curves, and then Join the curves, the endpoints merge. To make sure the endpoints are properly overlaid, use the Node Tool and move one of them over the other until you get the color change. Then when you Join the curves the points will merge. (But I have not yet tried that with your file; only one of my own.)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.523 Beta

I will try the move and re position trick. Weird that that’s necessary but such is life.

Generally  I’ve found that many times Affinity will utilize a different way to do what you are used to in Adobe software. 
usually it’s a better solution once you get used to it. In this case, I am failing to see the advantage so far. 

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It should work in Lagarto's example, because that one has two curves, which must be joined. If you have a single curve, then you would need to close the curve, not join it (joining requires two).

The two curves can be joined by using the Node tool shift clicking technique, so that the overlapping nodes are truly fused (become one, and the curvature is maintained on both sides of the node).

But the shape cannot be closed similarly. You are either left with two overlapping nodes (start and end nodes), or if the nodes are fused, the slope of the curve is distorted.

Can someone on the team answer us?
Merging two overlapping points is a nightmare.

You think it's a detail? Try adding a stroke pressure to such a curve and you'll see awful glitches :(

Edit: who can easily merge those curves so there is no overlapping nodes (file attached MergingNodes.afdesign)?

1356066230_Capturedcran2019-11-0615_47_28.png.eac4c5c166ee89b95d64ae2c98048a71.png

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

You mean this? MergingNodes.afdesign

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.7.3.481.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.476.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.

15 hours ago, Tazintosh said:

Edit: who can easily merge those curves

Yes, it can be done, but I would not say "easily" -- at least for me as I more often than not fail to completely align the nodes (despite using snapping tools) and end up creating double nodes, and it is a bit painful to need to check after each merge try if it really snapped. But I guess one can achieve mastery even in this task, which is a trivial basic skill in other apps. It is easy to take this to Illustrator, Inkscape or CorelDRAW (where you need a macro to do this effectively) and do it there.

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

but I would not say "easily"

??? About one minute for me?

Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.

11 hours ago, Pšenda said:

??? About one minute for me?

Well, it took another round for me to get it, but it is pretty far from [Alt+Shift+Ctrl+8 + ] Ctrl+J (Illustrator), or [Ctrl+K + ] Shift+J (Inkscape).

11 hours ago, Tazintosh said:

Edit: who can easily merge those curves so there is no overlapping nodes (file attached MergingNodes.afdesign)?

1. Select all the curves.
  2. Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves.

Takes about 2 seconds. Merged Curves.afdesign (with History).

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves.

That's what in other applications is called a compound path. It does not merge the nodes.

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

That's what in other applications is called a compound path. It does not merge the nodes.

@Tazintosh asked about easily merging the curves, & that is literally what Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves does.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

@Tazintosh asked about easily merging the curves, & that is literally what Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves does.

That's a terminological problem. Different apps call same operations with different terms. But it was obvious that OP meant merging the nodes, not just combining the separate curves as a compound object. In CorelDRAW and Inkscape this kind of "merging" (where the nodes will not be joined or merged) is called "combining", and in Illustator it is called creating a "compound path".

See from post by @Pšenda (containing the accomplished task as an attachment) what was meant. The intention is shown also in the filename. 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

@Tazintosh asked about easily merging the curves

Tazintosh asked:

18 hours ago, Tazintosh said:

Merging two overlapping points is a nightmare.

You think it's a detail? Try adding a stroke pressure to such a curve and you'll see awful glitches :(

Edit: who can easily merge those curves so there is no overlapping nodes

Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves has overlapping nodes :-)

18 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Regarding Inkscape it´s actually just "Join Selected Nodes" - combining as an extra step isn´t necessary.

To be fair about it, the Inkscape example uses constant width curves (no stroke pressure variation) unlike the MergingNodes. afdesign file. I don't use Inkscape enough to know if it has a comparable feature (because for whatever reason on my iMac it is about as stable as a bowling ball balanced on the end of a cue stick), but if it does what is the shape of the joined curve?

Edited by R C-R
added explanation for why I do not use Inkscape much