You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File identified as Corrupt won't open in Beta 1.8.0

When I try to open my afdesign file in Beta 1.8.0 it won't open it because it says it is corrupt.  The same file will open in 1.7.3.  In 1.7.3 when I try to save it it says there is some error and I should report it to the Designer Devs.

One other piece of info that may or may not be relevant is that this file was originally saved with storage using Google file stream.

I've attached my file here

Wwise_Dark.afdesign

I see the same symptoms using that file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Remi McGill Audiokinetic,

It looks like there is a lot of null data in your file. In 1.8 we've tried to to improve error checking to stop corrupt files such as these from opening 

It is interesting that you mention it has been stored using Google File Stream. It has become apparent to us that Google's File Stream is actually corrupting local copies of users documents, which sounds like what might have happened here. See the article below

https://www.scss.tcd.ie/joeran.beel/blog/2019/04/02/google-file-stream-a-horror-story-with-corrupted-files-and-more/

That article does suggest that downloading a copy of the file through Google's web interface and storing it in a location not monitored by Google can prove successful. You may also have some success by checking the File Versions that Google have stored and downloading them if the current one doesn't work.

Hi Sean, thanks for the reply and the link to the google file stream article

I went through the old versions (from 1 year) and downloaded them from Google Drive (into a location not monitored by Google), and unfortunately none of them will load in 1.8.

Is there a way in 1.7.3 that I could open the file and repair it somehow, by cleaning out the null data, or copying stuff to a new file?

This also makes me wonder about the future with new files, is it possible that I have a file open in Affinity Designer, I make some adjustments and save my file and some null data gets saved in there somehow and then the file won't open again? Or is there checking in the save action that won't allow null data to be saved?

Small update, I was able to copy the content out of the document in 1.7.3 and paste it into a new document, but when I pasted it all the objects have been reduced to simple vector objects. E.G. a line of text is now converted into a series of vector objects, one for each letter.

This obviously isn't ideal but certainly better than nothing, I'm guessing if it might be because Designer identifies problems in the data structures and so reduces them to simple vectors when pasting.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.