You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BSOD on save for new and already existing files

Hello,

I've come across an issue in which Publisher seems to be crashing Windows upon trying to save a document. I'm guessing that it's due to some update that Microsoft released over the weekend as everything was fine last week and nothing else that I know of had changed.

To reproduce:

1. Open Publisher
  2. Create a new document or open an existing document
  3. Attempt to save

After choosing a location and name and pressing the save button, Windows crashes. The BSOD claims that cldflt.sys failed, giving a stop code of SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. The file does end up getting created, but trying to open it afterwards gives a "file type not supported" error. The bug happened every time I tried to save, regardless of whether the file being saved was already in existence or new.

A little poking around on the web suggested that uninstalling cloud services might help, so I tried removing OneDrive and sync services with Google. This did nothing. In the end, the only thing I was able to do to get everything working again was to roll back to a backup from before this weekend's OS updates happened.

The provided file is what was produced from one occurrence of the issue.

Thanks,

Dan.

Test.afpub

For future occurrences, probably you could have simply uninstalled the update that Windows installed, rather than restoring a backup. The last couple of cumulative updates for Windows 10 have caused various problems.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the information Walt. I did try to uninstall a couple of the updates from the weekend with mixed success; I was able to get rid of one or two, but there were a couple (security-focused, I believe?) that threw errors when I would try to uninstall them. In any case, it didn't seem to fix the issue.

Fortunately almost all of the files we work with on that machine are stored on a NAS, so restoring isn't a big deal.

• Staff

Looks like  you have to disable that service :-

"

Just logging out of onedrive did not fix it for me when i had this issue.  The cldflt.sys device driver still interacts with the OS and bluescreens.

Run these 2 commands from a Admin command prompt:

sc config cldflt start=disabled

sc stop cldflt

(you can put it back with a sc config cldflt start=automatic  if you choose)

Also, I tried on my own to complete remove all onedrive folders and hidden system files in my profile folder a few weeks ago. After reenabling cldflt and logging back into onedrive, I bluescreen'ed about 2 hours into my workday.  

"

The afpub file is corrupt, probably due to the crash.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Please read the (rewritten) FAQ which says that Microsoft have now fixed this bug in December's Windows Patch

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon