You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo File Formats for Multi-GB files

Hi, I’m trying to find out which of Affinity Photo’s output file formats is suitable for very large files in the 10GB range.  I checked the Serif web site, and I see it claims Photo can open very large PSB files, but I haven’t found a corresponding output format.  I’m asking because I have hundreds of stitched images in this size range, as well as a small number of stacked images.  I’d really prefer a file format that is widely supported.

Can anyone direct me to the appropriate resource, please?

Regards

Are you referring to pixel image output formats? If so, you're probably going to hit pixel count issues in PNG (I did) so you're probably looking at TIFF instead.

If you're talking about something else, please elaborate further. :-) 

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

Brad, these files are large stitched images or panoramas, some with as many as 60 source images.  So there are lots of pixel layers, layer masks and so on, with the occasional vector path that I use for cropping.  These are my master files; files for printing and other uses are JPG.

I do use the PNG format, but only for files where I require transparency; size is not an issue for these files.

For historical reasons that probably don’t apply any more I used a combination of TIFF and PSB files for the stitched images.  When I last tested TIFF for images in the 8GB to 10GB range, TIFF failed, but I don’t recall precisely why.

Regards

Forgive me, @LionelD, but I'm still unclear. It now sounds like you're looking for an alternative to the native afphoto storage format, but one that preserves all your edits in a granular way. 

Is that actually the case? And if so, what is it that makes the Affinity native files unsuitable for your needs?

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers