In Affinity Publisher, my text colour always seems to be around 70% CMY and 80% K.  My Printer requires this to be 0% CMY and 100% K.  I can change each paragraph individually, but  this is very time consuming and surely there must be a way to set Publisher to a default 0,0,0 and 100 %.  Can anyone help ?

Export as PDF/X-4. It keeps K100, or create the PDF (print) file without including the color profile (since it is the color profile that converts your K100 to rich black).

40 minutes ago, Squaredancer said:

I did export as PDF X4, that's when my Printers told me the text was all in CMYK

Please make a simple test with K100 in the text and see what happens. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Pro to check the output, please post the pdf on this forum. You may have had your text specified in rich black when you initially created your document. But if you export with default PDF/X-4 and have K100, or if you export your PDF with standard (print) preset, and manually uncheck embedding of color profile, your K blacks will go to black plate and are not converted to rich black.

(You can naturally open the produced PDF also in Affinity Publisher and check the color, but might want to confirm this without opening the pdf for editing.)

Sorry Lagarto, I don't fully understand you.  I can modify any of my text to K100, but have to do it item by item.  What I need is something to tell Publisher that I want Black (K) text, not a mixture of CMYK      I cannot remove colour profiles from my document as that would affect the colour pages !

@Squaredancer

As your document is already designed, if you did not use paragraph and character styles, you will have to manually select all instances of text and apply a pure black (C-0, M-0, Y-0, K-100).

If you did use paragraph and character styles, it will be much easier to apply a pure black globally by updating the color specified for those styles.

1 hour ago, Squaredancer said:

I cannot remove colour profiles from my document as that would affect the colour pages !

If your printer wants PDF/X-4 with color profile embedded, that should be no problem, since this standard does not convert your K blacks to rich black even when the profile is embedded. When this standard is not used, the typical method of producing a print pdf is to NOT include the profile. All necessary color conversions are then performed when the print pdf is created, and the correct color profile is used for conversion (this is how print files are still often created in InDesign). Affinity, too, does convert RGB elements into document color space, using the defined profile, but does not seem to control e.g. total ink coverage so things like that should be controlled in design). You should of course do what your printer requires.

If you do not have colored text, you should be able to convert all your text elements pretty easily to K100, since even if you had text in separate stories, you can multiselect text frames and apply text color in one go.

5 hours ago, Squaredancer said:

In Affinity Publisher, my text colour always seems to be around 70% CMY and 80% K

Do you mean that when you start a new document and create a text element, or only when you print your document? If so, what is your document type and document color format and document color profile? For print documents the default text color should by default be K100. 

19 hours ago, Squaredancer said:

my text colour always seems to be around 70% CMY and 80% K.  My Printer requires this to be 0% CMY and 100% K.  I can change each paragraph individually, but  this is very time consuming and surely there must be a way to set Publisher to a default 0,0,0 and 100 %. 

If you did not use text styles but all your text has the same color then you can use the Find & Replace panel to replace your existing black (70cmy, 80k) with 100 K.

1163861979_frcolor1.jpg.c70e096d21e375cb891ab20588ab8ab9.jpg >>> 376986269_frcolor2.jpg.9d080c0381f1cdf496209a57807ade50.jpg

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

16 hours ago, Squaredancer said:

Sorry Lagarto,    I just don't understand all this, and will just give up.  Thanks for your efforts 

I mean that there are basically three causes for having rich black (one that contains CMY components in addition to black):

1) Your document type is one that uses RGB color space (and RGB color profile) (you can open the Document Setup dialog from within the toolbar when having Move tool active and no active selection):

document_type.jpg.f61c5a0284abdd2f655c1c36dfdfe971.jpg

If you see this kind of a document setup, it means that whenever you create a new text object, its default color will be an RGB based black, which results in rich black.

.When creating a new print document (for press), you should ensure that you have something like this selected, using CMYK color space, instead of a document type that uses an RGB workflow:

new_press_document.jpg.15606fdd98820c0109daff831c24909c.jpg

When this is true, the default color for new text objects will be K100 (and CMY 0). But if your document color space is RGB, the default color for text will be RGB defined color, which results in rich black when the document is converted for print.

2) Your text color is K100, but it converts to rich black when you export to PDF. This, as mentioned, is caused by embedding a color profile in the pdf, and not using X-4 standard. An embedded color profile causes conversion of K values to rich black in other PDF export methods.

3) The third reason for rich black can be that a conflict in color profiles causes conversion when importing documents, or that opened or imported documents contain text that uses rich black. Office graphics, e.g. Excel charts typically have their text (including black) defined in RGB color space, which results in rich black.

As described in other posts in this thread, it should be a simple process to change your text to K100, especially if you do not have colored text parts amidst black text blocks. Black text in graphics would naturally require access to the source so that it can be manually changed.

Thanks Lagarto, that does clear things up a lot.  My document was setup as RGB, so that will explain the problem. However, I do import a lot of material from RGB type sources, so I will have to watch for that. I'm a little more confident of getting somewhere now though, thanks.

Square Dancer

Something that doesn't help is that selecting "Print" in the New Document "Type" gives an RGB setting in the Colour tab. Also I don't know why there are 4 tabs rather than just a single dialogue box. I'd much rather all the setings were visible together. In the meanwhile setting up presets can help.

Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

8 hours ago, MickRose said:

Something that doesn't help is that selecting "Print" in the New Document "Type" gives an RGB setting in the Colour tab.

Not at all something I know much about but I think this is because the builtin "Print" options assume an inkjet or similar printer that does its own conversion from the RGB color space to whatever colors its ink cartridges can reproduce. 

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

Not at all something I know much about but I think this is because the builtin "Print" options assume an inkjet or similar printer that does its own conversion from the RGB color space to whatever colors its ink cartridges can reproduce.

It actually just seems to "remember" the last setting used, as like you mentioned, it is often a good idea to use RGB graphics when printing onto office printers. But for "(press)" setting, CMYK is selected even if last time forced to be RGB.

For better useability, the color mode could be indicated (even if not chosen) on the same page where the document type is selected. 

17 hours ago, Lagarto said:

2) Your text color is K100, but it converts to rich black when you export to PDF. This, as mentioned, is caused by embedding a color profile in the pdf, and not using X-4 standard. An embedded color profile causes conversion of K values to rich black in other PDF export methods.

Quoting myself... This happens EVEN if the embedded color profile is the document color profile, which IMO is a mistake. E.g., InDesign will not touch document colors (ID vector objects and text) if the print-time color destinatation does not deviate from the document color profile, even if color numbers are allowed to change; it only does this if profiles differ, and then shows a warning mark in the context destination and color conversion (if any) is specified.

This setting is likely to cause lots of troubles for Affinity Publisher users...

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

For better useability, the color mode could be indicated (even if not chosen) on the same page where the document type is selected. 

That is a good idea. I just think the word "Print" as an option is very misleading. There is a big difference between settings needed for a small inkjet ptinter and for an outsourced litho press and the dialogue boxes should reflect that difference very clearly.

Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

It actually just seems to "remember" the last setting used, as like you mentioned, it is often a good idea to use RGB graphics when printing onto office printers. But for "(press)" setting, CMYK is selected even if last time forced to be RGB.

For press ready print work, why would you want to use the RGB color space? But if this is something you really want, you can create custom user presets with any combination of layout, color space, etc. settings you want. Print, Print (Press Ready), Photo, Web, & Devices are really just built-in presets. You don't have to use them.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2