You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In Affinity Publisher, my text colour always seems to be around 70% CMY and 80% K.  My Printer requires this to be 0% CMY and 100% K.  I can change each paragraph individually, but  this is very time consuming and surely there must be a way to set Publisher to a default 0,0,0 and 100 %.  Can anyone help ?

Sorry Lagarto, I don't fully understand you.  I can modify any of my text to K100, but have to do it item by item.  What I need is something to tell Publisher that I want Black (K) text, not a mixture of CMYK      I cannot remove colour profiles from my document as that would affect the colour pages !

@Squaredancer

As your document is already designed, if you did not use paragraph and character styles, you will have to manually select all instances of text and apply a pure black (C-0, M-0, Y-0, K-100).

If you did use paragraph and character styles, it will be much easier to apply a pure black globally by updating the color specified for those styles.

19 hours ago, Squaredancer said:

my text colour always seems to be around 70% CMY and 80% K.  My Printer requires this to be 0% CMY and 100% K.  I can change each paragraph individually, but  this is very time consuming and surely there must be a way to set Publisher to a default 0,0,0 and 100 %. 

If you did not use text styles but all your text has the same color then you can use the Find & Replace panel to replace your existing black (70cmy, 80k) with 100 K.

1163861979_frcolor1.jpg.c70e096d21e375cb891ab20588ab8ab9.jpg >>> 376986269_frcolor2.jpg.9d080c0381f1cdf496209a57807ade50.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks Lagarto, that does clear things up a lot.  My document was setup as RGB, so that will explain the problem. However, I do import a lot of material from RGB type sources, so I will have to watch for that. I'm a little more confident of getting somewhere now though, thanks.

Square Dancer

Something that doesn't help is that selecting "Print" in the New Document "Type" gives an RGB setting in the Colour tab. Also I don't know why there are 4 tabs rather than just a single dialogue box. I'd much rather all the setings were visible together. In the meanwhile setting up presets can help.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

8 hours ago, MickRose said:

Something that doesn't help is that selecting "Print" in the New Document "Type" gives an RGB setting in the Colour tab.

Not at all something I know much about but I think this is because the builtin "Print" options assume an inkjet or similar printer that does its own conversion from the RGB color space to whatever colors its ink cartridges can reproduce. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

For better useability, the color mode could be indicated (even if not chosen) on the same page where the document type is selected. 

That is a good idea. I just think the word "Print" as an option is very misleading. There is a big difference between settings needed for a small inkjet ptinter and for an outsourced litho press and the dialogue boxes should reflect that difference very clearly.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

It actually just seems to "remember" the last setting used, as like you mentioned, it is often a good idea to use RGB graphics when printing onto office printers. But for "(press)" setting, CMYK is selected even if last time forced to be RGB.

For press ready print work, why would you want to use the RGB color space? But if this is something you really want, you can create custom user presets with any combination of layout, color space, etc. settings you want. Print, Print (Press Ready), Photo, Web, & Devices are really just built-in presets. You don't have to use them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7