You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Draggin a fill layer "crashes" APhoto

Open any jpg file
Duplicate it 
Add fill layer (to top of stack)
Drag fill layer to the bottom
APhoto closes

Windows 8.1 -  AP 1.8.0.486 (beta) - unable to test on a MAC

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The dragging of layers works well here, both in the current beta and in the customer version.

(I use Windows 10 pro)

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Works very well here too on both versions

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Thanks, both

Try dragging the Fill Layer onto the bottom layer thumbnail, or just to the right of it

does it crash then? (Seems to be position-specific)

Only on the Beta (release version is OK)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Very strange indeed,
Drag the fill-layer directly to the thumbnail, AP freezesl.

New trial
Drag the fill-layer below the image layer, everything is OK.
From this position drag the fill-layer on the thumbnail,  everything is OK.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Drag the fill layer to the bottom thumbnail causes crash on Beta only. I found that you don't have to duplicate the background layer. Just create a fill layer and drag it down to the background thumbnail will close the program.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I can replicate this behaviour only in the beta version. Moving the fill layer directly under the picture layer works ok. But if I move it to the picture layer, to the right (as a child layer) the whole image disapears behind this fill layer.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

17 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Is it possible you could record this behaviour?

No, sorry I don't currently have that facility

Just installed the AP 1.8.0.486 (beta) on a Windows 10 PC and the "crash" is the same

I think Support should have enough information now to recreate the error, if not they can always request more information

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Crash dragging fill layer to bottom of layer stack) of the program in the latest beta release of Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer on Windows. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. Once Affinity Publisher has been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update to all customers.

The 1.8.0.514 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Appears to be fixed in Photo Beta 514.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.