You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Global Colour Rename

Hangman

This hardly seems worth mentioning because it's not a problem to work around but it appears that across all three apps you can't duplicate a Global Colour and rename it using the next sequential number, (which is fine as you most likely would want to rename it more descriptively anyway), so for example if you have a single Global Colour, named Global Colour 1 by default, duplicating it won't allow you to rename it Global Colour 2 and likewise if you have two existing Global Colours named by default and you duplicate one of them, you can't rename it Global Colour 3 and so on.

However, adding additional Global Colours by clicking on the 'Add current colour to palette as a Global Colour' icon will automatically rename them using the next sequential number, e.g. Global Colour 2 and so on. Like I say, not really a problem but I just thought I may as well point it out...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

>  This hardly seems worth mentioning because it is not a problem to work around

I'd say it should be fixed just to avoid unnecessary confusion. A copy of an item should not get the same name - or, if, then the app should not get confused itself:

If the app names a copy automatically with an existing, identical name I would expect the app can handle that properly. But if I edit a swatch copy then the first swatch with that name gets edited instead, regardless of the selected swatch to edit.

Also it appears weird that a global swatch is auto-named "global #" whereas a non-global swatch gets auto-named with its color values. – For no real purpose the global name says "global":  I do see the global property both in the swatch icon and in the color panel: Once a global swatch is selected, it auto-switches the Color Panel to Tints, regardless (not customizable) what mode was set and wanted. (also: a spot color isn't auto-named as "spot #")

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

To be honest, there are so many improvements that 'could' be made to the way colours and swatches work (or in certain cases don't work) across the applications. I'm tempted to post a list of all the improvements I'd like to see in this area but without knowing any future planned changes which may already be on the road map I'm not sure if that is a worthwhile thing to do?

The current issues with colours and swatches have been inherent from the inception of AD, AP and APub but I'm ever hopeful they will be addressed in a future release but my expectation is this may not happen until a V2.0 overhaul.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

35 minutes ago, Hangman said:

improvements that 'could' be made

Such are besides or additionally to the issues mentioned above and also discussed in various threads.

But the auto-name "global" behavior obviously confuses both the user AND the app itself. At least the "Edit Swatch" for a selected copy is a bug and doesn't need a feature request.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...