You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've probably been one of the annoying critics of Affinity products in the past ...  but since it's always easy to talk about negative things I feel it's time for some positive feedback as well.
The new drag and drop feature for layers in the beta is excellent! Very long looked after and now working very well! Makes things just a lot easier. Thanks for implementing it!

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

OMG ... can I make this post "unwritten" ... any way to CTRL-Z this?
I dragged files from the Explorer to AP/AD ... but not within 2 documents ... and despite the new feature list that mentions " Added ability to drag and drop layers from one document to another " ...

this is not working at all ...  (no, really not at all .. not from the layer to document, not from within the document to another, not from the document to a layer ... just nothing, nada, niente, nix!) .. and yes, the latest beta!

I guess it's a mistake in the "new feature list" ... we will keep it on the "request" list ... and my happiness is gone ... maybe after so much criticising in the past, I felt the (now unjustified) urge to say something nice ... Everyone please take their "likes" back!

shame on me!

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

2 hours ago, DarkClown said:

I guess it's a mistake in the "new feature list" ...

It seems to work here...

Open 2 documents, use Window > Float All to undock the documents, arrange so both are visible on the screen

Create some shapes in document 1

If you try to drag these shapes directly from the canvas on document 1 to document 2 that does not work

With document 1 active, select and drag the shape(s) from the Layers panel onto the canvas of document 2 (this does work)

Document 2's history panel will record it as a "Paste"

Where it appears to differ from a normal "copy & paste" is that you can control where the dragged item will appear on document 2. i.e when you release the mouse the center point of the shape will be at the mouse's current position

Notes:

Macros cannot record the dragging and dropping of layers from one document to another.
It would have been nice to simply drag and drop from one document's canvas to another (especially in documents with a lot of layers) but that does not work.

Without the ability to automatically layout the document windows after/during the Float All process, a simple "copy and paste" of layers from one document to another is probably quicker at the moment. But I suspect it will still be useful to a lot of users

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

Open 2 documents, use Window > Float All to undock the documents, arrange so both are visible on the screen

You really only need to float one of them, which makes the window layout easier to manage. And you could simply drag its tab to float it.

I agree that drag/drop directly from the canvas would be nice.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

OK, the feature is just not available when all windows are docked.

You can't drag a layer from the panel to the title of another window either. The window is not activated, when you drag the layer over it as well. With at least one detached window you have to grab a layer from the panel - as Walt mentioned it does not work with objects from the document itself ...

I think I just had a different understanding of drag&drop:

Attached or detached windows:
- dragging any layer OR object from within the active document or external resource to the title of another document window (will activate this window and drop the layer or object in the middle of the document)

Detached windows:
- dragging any layer OR object from within the active document or external resource to the inside of a document window (will activate this window and drop the layer or object where you released the mouse)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.