You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

Are there any recommendations on Preferences/Performance/RAM usage limit in relation to onboard RAM?

I seem to be getting numerous 'Affinity not responding' when dealing with larger files which is very frustrating when it can take 3 or 4 minutes to finally respond.

3 hours ago, D23 said:

Are there any recommendations on Preferences/Performance/RAM usage limit in relation to onboard RAM?

At least for Macs, leaving it at the default, which is usually (always on Macs?) equal to the total RAM installed, is fine unless you typically run several RAM-hungry apps concurrently and one or more of the others continuously needs lots of active memory for its exclusive use to perform well (or at all).

The Mac OS will never let any app use all the installed RAM & it usually manages the allocation of application memory resources quite well. so in general there is no reason to lower the Affinity app RAM usage below the default.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, D23 said:

And for a PC?

I assume something similar applies but since I only use Macs someone else may have a better answer for you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Windows has the same RAM Usage Limit option available in Preferences > Performance. As @R C-R mentions, it defaults to the total amount of physical memory available. When do you notice the Not Responding, is when performing a particular task or using a certain tool? How large are the files this seems to be happening with?

Panoramas take a hell of a while, especially the rendering which often causes 'not responding' for several minutes. Pasting a second image onto a first, and oddly, resizing often causes a problem. However, the files in question are in the region of 25 to 30Mb.

I just wondered if there were any recommendations.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2019 i Mac with 3 GHz 6-core Intel Core i5, 48GB of RAM and Radeon Pro 570X 4GB vid card.

I have built a custom scanning device using an Arduino, 3d printed parts with an A4 flat bed light table (Ebay) and an old Canonscan UF2400 neg holder for scanning 4x5 negatives with my Nikon D600, it shoots 20 RAW images; 4 horizontally by 5 vertically producing a finished cropped file of around 240mb. The finished image is exported to TIFF. I have no problems with this and the overall processing time for the panorama is approx 2 mins. The only issues I am experiencing is where the scanned image has section tiles of plain sky and then sometimes AF misses them on the finished image? Just trying to work out how to replace the missing tiles!

The produced image from a 4x5 neg will print out just over 2.5m long x 2m high at 300 ppl 

Furlonger Photography 2021-10-08 at 16.37.14.jpeg

Furlonger Photography 2021-10-08 at 16.37.39.jpeg

Furlonger Photography 2021-10-19 at 16.04.36.jpeg

Furlonger Photography 2021-10-08 at 15.49.16.jpeg

For the missing pieces problem I am wondering if you would be best served by just placing the files from the Bobscan into an appropriately sized Affinity Photo document and manually arrange them. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.