meerajogi

[Fixed] Crash / complete close down on adding a space while typing in the text box

I have installed the latest version of affinity Publisher today and started working on it. 

When I am typing space through spacebar the software crashes and closes down without any warning.

It happens with older files and new files both. 

It is a very serious problem, as typing space is very natural and I press spacebar without even knowing.

Hmm, i've not heard of anyone encountering this before. Do you have anything slightly unusual about your keyboard setup?

Can you navigate to %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports\reports and attach the contents here?

Thanks

Hello,

The same problem here. I have two unfinished documents and I cannot edit them. When click to the text frame and start typing (not sure if it is always connected only with a space), the Publisher crashes. I tried to restart PC, close all programs, but nothing helps. CPU and memory is in "green numbers" when it crashes.

It is really serious problem because I cannot finish the documents.

The reports are attached.

Thank you in advance for investigation.

Roman

reports.zip

Hi Rover,

What I did to continue working was uninstall the latest version and install the earlier version.

Luckily I had the 1.7.2 version with me in the download files.

Hope this helps.

I have the same issue on my mac. Suddenly, out of nowhere, this particular file will start crashing Publisher. As long as I attempt to add a text, it crashes. I drag a layer, it crashes once I let it go. I click on another page in the page panel, it crashes. How do I get the crash log for mac?

It should appear after the app closes on Mac, I'll look into these.

Can you all clarify what language you are typing in?

Also, it's a shot in the dark for now but can you disable all options in Preferences > Auto-Correct and let me know if that helps at all.

@yjnaimah Can you clarify if this also happens on new documents

Thanks, I can reproduce it with your file, I'll get it logged and have a look into it.

@meerajogi  and @rovor can you confirm your behavior is a bit different and you get the crash on a new file? Also be sure to check turning off auto correct.

I tried to create a new file, copy the text frame from the crashing file and edit it. It worked perfectly, so no problem with new file. When I copy it and paste it back to the crashing file and try to edit the frame (I think delete one character,type a new one), Publisher crashed.

Language is czech,but auto-check when typing is off.

I can't reproduce a crash when typing into your file, have you added any custom dictionaries out of curiosity?

but auto-check when typing is off.

Can you confirm Edit > Preferences > Auto-Correct  > Replace text while typing is also turned off

Also, can you upload your application data to the above folder (%appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0)

Yes, I have added czech dictionary. I put it into dropbox as well as data folder.

Unfortunately, I cannot check the Preferences because when I click Preferences, Publisher freezes. Looks like another issue?

Hmm it might be related, can you navigate to %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\ and rename the 1.0 folder to 1.0 backup, then relaunch the app and see if that helps at all (with getting into preferences or the crash when typing).

Does any text that you type in make it crash?

It may do as i'm not certain what the cause is yet, that folder contains a lot of user settings. I was hoping by using your folder I could reproduce the behavior but haven't had any luck so far.

Let me know if it happens again and what you changed before hand if it does, and I'll update you if I get more information on this.

Thanks

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next release of Affinity Publisher on your platform.