You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes when I press CMD+C a group in artboard

tnViking

Whenever I press CMD+C to copy a group, AD crashes instantly.
But if I try to copy e.g. a rectangle, it hangs for a bit, then copies it.

At the time I was working on a really large document (dimension wise). 3.23m x 1.92m
However, when I scaled it down by a 100, so 3.23cm x 1.92cm, copying groups worked instead.

So it might be something to do with the large size. As seing in my clipboard, when I used the metre dimensions, just one rectangle was 358.3MB, compared to 41KB when I reduced the scale by 100

• Staff

Hi tnViking

Would you be able to attach a copy of your document please? At a guess I would say your document is 300dpi and that kind of resolution when working in metres will generate files with huge amounts of pixels. So it could be this crashing as it attempts to rasterise data to place on the clipboard.

Without knowing the intent of your document I cannot give an accurate suggestion. It would be worth seeing this page here: https://prinfab.com/blog/viewing-distance-and-dpi/

You could keep the physical size to 3.23m x 1.92, but change the DPI to something like 100. This will change the underlying pixel size of your document.

2 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi tnViking

Would you be able to attach a copy of your document please? At a guess I would say your document is 300dpi and that kind of resolution when working in metres will generate files with huge amounts of pixels. So it could be this crashing as it attempts to rasterise data to place on the clipboard.

Without knowing the intent of your document I cannot give an accurate suggestion. It would be worth seeing this page here: https://prinfab.com/blog/viewing-distance-and-dpi/

You could keep the physical size to 3.23m x 1.92, but change the DPI to something like 100. This will change the underlying pixel size of your document.

Hi Sean,
Yeah, that's what I also presumed was the issue. Would be nice if it didn't crash though, perhaps throw in a warning.

Sure, I've attached the document here.
By changing the DPI to 100, it works fine, a little bit slow to copy. As the group I tried to copy becomes 240.1MB in my clipboard.
I solved it by just scaling it back by 100, so I used cm instead of metres, just for working on it

elg58 sykkelbås-liten.afdesign

I'm using the Clipboard History that's from Alfred app.
If I disable the "Keep Images" setting, it doesn't crash Designer.

This is how it usually looks. The first entry is the file @300 DPI, but scaled down by 100.
2nd entry is the file @100 DPI, but at the metre scale.

knDGi3XoRgApBO2xmSEMoYij.png

• Staff

Thanks for that - unfortunately I'm unable to get the Alfred Power Pack, however I'll get it passed on to development as it is still crashing using the free Clipboard Viewer. Would you be able to attach the contents of one of the crash reports that appears, just so I can compare it to the one I get just to check they're the same crash.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

unfortunately I'm unable to get the Alfred Power Pack

I’m sorry to hear that, Sean! I wish there was something I could do to help. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for that - unfortunately I'm unable to get the Alfred Power Pack, however I'll get it passed on to development as it is still crashing using the free Clipboard Viewer. Would you be able to attach the contents of one of the crash reports that appears, just so I can compare it to the one I get just to check they're the same crash.

Thanks again!

I've attached a log I copied earlier

affinity_designer.crash.log