You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop Plugin Support - Particleshop

I know that probably not all photoshop plugins can be supported ( although not sure I know why )

However, it would be nice if they didn't work for them to be handled gracefully. Particleshop crashes Affinity Photo.

How much work is going on in terms of making plugins work or liaising with the likes of Corel to get Affinity plugins?

Just wondering. It would certainly broaden the user base if more plugins worked well.

Thanks

1 hour ago, toneloop said:

I know that probably not all photoshop plugins can be supported ( although not sure I know why )

However, it would be nice if they didn't work for them to be handled gracefully. Particleshop crashes Affinity Photo.

How much work is going on in terms of making plugins work or liaising with the likes of Corel to get Affinity plugins?

Just wondering. It would certainly broaden the user base if more plugins worked well.

Thanks

We're actively working on improving Photoshop plugins (the latest 1.8 beta on Windows adds further support, if you're on Windows, perhaps you could try that). Obviously we can't keep track of all the various plugin manufacturers, but if the Particleshop devs want to contact me here, I'd be more than happy to investigate.

I am on a Mac :-)

Was a general question as well as specific. Do most plugins operate to a prescribed API or is it much more complex than that ( I assume the latter ).

I will drop a line to Corel about creating an Affinity compatible plugin. Would have thought it would be worth their while these days but I believe they are a bit of an odd company.

• 1 year later...

Old thread I know, but just want to bump the idea with Affinity devs - yes it would be nice to get Particleshop to work with Affinity Photo (Mac).  I've bought it under their 30 day MB guarantee.  But has been crashing as others have noted. Maybe it'll work with some other non-PS editor.

14 hours ago, AQP said:

Old thread I know, but just want to bump the idea with Affinity devs - yes it would be nice to get Particleshop to work with Affinity Photo (Mac).  I've bought it under their 30 day MB guarantee.  But has been crashing as others have noted. Maybe it'll work with some other non-PS editor.

Try the beta version I find the beta's work better with plugins and I can run Particleshop from a Beta.

image.png.46efa37b45263ac055d7099c11c843c3.png

The image is of an Affinity WorkBook owner after completing all the lessons and achieving Affinity Enlightenment... 🤩

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 7/3/2021 at 5:59 AM, firstdefence said:

Try the beta version I find the beta's work better with plugins and I can run Particleshop from a Beta.

image.png.46efa37b45263ac055d7099c11c843c3.png

The image is of an Affinity WorkBook owner after completing all the lessons and achieving Affinity Enlightenment... 🤩

Good to know.  I tried the latest Beta but it didn't work.  Which Beta version did you use?

8 hours ago, AQP said:

Good to know.  I tried the latest Beta but it didn't work.  Which Beta version did you use?

Almost all of the beta's from 1.9 have been good for plugins support, the retail versions not so much. I have beta: 1.10.0.247 installed which is the latest beta to date. I think, in part, I have positive results with plugins because I'm still using High Sierra. I don't think a lot of plugins get updated much or if they do its infrequently so OS X compatibility isn't always a strong point.

Even today AlienSkins Eye Candy has a glitch in Affinity where the effect is flipped, you can alternate the flip and get the correct view so its just an annoyance and the effect is rendered correctly when applied regardless of the view displayed within the plugin.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think, in part, I have positive results with plugins because I'm still using High Sierra

I think you're on to something with that.  When I tried to send it from the Beta (1.10...) it was ParticleShop which crashed, whereas when trying from 1.9.3 (retail) it was AP that crashed.  I have a dual boot with Catalina and Mojave.  Maybe I'll try it under Mojave and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Edited by AQP

12 hours ago, AQP said:

Maybe I'll try it under Mojave and see if that makes a difference.

Update: tried it under Mojave without success.  But I have an older iMac around running High Sierra.  Moved it all onto that one and had success.  So I think you are right that PS-AP requires that older OS.  Thanks for that tip!   Just a shame that it won't run under the more recent OS.

1 hour ago, AQP said:

Update: tried it under Mojave without success.  But I have an older iMac around running High Sierra.  Moved it all onto that one and had success.  So I think you are right that PS-AP requires that older OS.  Thanks for that tip!   Just a shame that it won't run under the more recent OS.

You're welcome, I hesitated when Mojave was having a lot of issues and applied the. "if it aint broke don't fix it" approach. Newer OS X may have a few more bells and whistles but I can't see the point in those if you are forever trying to fix issues with OS X and the system fights against you. I'd rather have stability, compatibility and functionality over gimmicks any day of the week.