You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request - Print icon on a toolbar

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping that this feature request is posted in correct way. Here it is.

I'm in love with Affinity designer and is great software. But one thing really annoys me. And this is that there is no Print icon on a toolbar.

I know that there is keyboard shortcut. But I'm using affinity designer combined with Graphtec Craftrobo for making labels and there is a lot of clicking with a mouse involved. I first need to change an active layer, then go to the menu and then click print. Layers are on the right side of the screen, menu is in the upper left corner and print is second from the bottom. Thank god I'm using only 22" monitor but anyway simple print icon will really speedup the process.

You could also move the layers panel to the left side of the window if that is an issue for you.

The keyboard shortcut is even faster, but if this would help you for some reason, I'm not downplaying the request (though I definitely would not want to see it there by default, I have no objection to more options being added to what the toolbar can be customized with), just pointing out that this is something you can do already.

I agree keyboard shortcut is faster in theory. But it is not if you have one hand on the mouse. Ctrl+p is not shortcut which i can make with one hand. Anyway. I am hoping that this feature will be implemented in one of the future releases. Maybe there can be added a new custom toolbar where we can add any functions we want regardless is this a setting options, custom color pallet from photos or something completely different. I know i am overthinking the idea. Best regards Roman.

10 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

On the Mac, it's easy enough to press Command + P (⌘ P) with one hand. There is a Command key to the right of the space bar. Is it any different for Windows keyboards?

And what if you're holding a mouse or a stylus with your right hand?

Seriously, @romeno, you could change the shortcut to something that you can perform with your left hand easily. You might need to remove some other shortcut to do that, but perhaps there's one you don't use very often. Or perhaps your mouse has configurable buttons, and you could set one of them to generate Ctrl+P.

I realize these are only workarounds, but that's your only realistic approach in the short term, in my opinion. Any addition of a new toolbar icon for this is probably several years away at the earliest.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And what if you're holding a mouse or a stylus with your right hand?

Then you could move your left hand the rather short distance it takes to reach the other side of the keyboard?  Doing this in sync with the mouse movement could prove sufficiently efficient.

I can actually reach left control and the "P" key on a Windoze laptop keyboard with one hand, but it is admittedly quite a stretch, so I wouldn't expect that of everyone.

Of course, changing the shortcut works too...

19 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

There is a Command key to the right of the space bar. Is it any different for Windows keyboards?

Most Windoze keyboards do have a control key on the right side.  They are generally modifier-deficient and lack command keys.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Then you could move your left hand the rather short distance it takes to reach the other side of the keyboard?  Doing this in sync with the mouse movement could prove sufficiently efficient.

Good point.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

By the 18th century, universities published academic journals; by the 19th century, the German and the French university models were established. The French Ecole Polytechnique was established in 1794 by the mathematician Gaspard Monge during the Revolution, and it became a military academy under Napoleon I in 1804. The German university — the Humboldtian model — established by Wilhelm von Humboldt was based upon Friedrich Schleiermacher’s liberal ideas about the importance of freedom, seminars, and laboratories, which, like the French university model, involved strict discipline and control of every aspect of the university. In the 19th and 20th centuries, the universities concentrated upon science, but were not open to the general populace until after 1914. Moreover, until the end of the 19th century, religion exerted a significant, limiting influence upon academic curricula and research, by when the German university model had become the world standard. Elsewhere, the British also had established universities world-wide, thus making higher education available to the world’s populaces.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@Jowday: Relevance to having a Print icon? (Or anything else in the Affinity software line?)

-- Walt
PC:

Take a wild guess :)

To move forward. I miss a few toolbar icons that I too would prefer to activate with the mouse in some mouse only workflows.

A solution to all scenarios could be fx 1 - 3 custom toolbar icons that the user can add and assign an action to.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

5 hours ago, Fixx said:

We should have this:

print.png

Exactly. And perhaps a few custom generic icons that can be assigned fx print, save, save as as... etc. so every possible scenario is covered.

Now that you are talking about this, I’d like to mention a Topic I started some time ago:

It could also work for those who want the Print or Save Icons.

Best regards!

On 10/17/2019 at 3:27 PM, Mithferion said:

Now that you are talking about this, I’d like to mention a Topic I started some time ago:

It could also work for those who want the Print or Save Icons.

Best regards!

The save icon - save as - export icons would really also be welcome. Optional of course. But I would like them as toolbar icons as well as shortcut.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

The save icon - save as - export icons would really also be welcome. Optional of course. But I would like them as toolbar icons as well as shortcut.

In my case, I'd prefer them on the Tools panel, it's more comfortable for me. Both options would be great if done by the Dev Team.

Best regards!

• 1 month later...

If/when scripting support is implemented, it might be nice to either be able to assign arbitrary toolbar icons to kick off user-provided scripts, or at least to offer a small number of "User-Defined" toolbar icons such that scripts could be configured for them if it is not practical to support addition of arbitrary ones to the set of available toolbar icons.

For example, toolbar icons would be "User Script 1", "User Script 2", etc., then a user who wants these oddball commands could have a script to print the document and assign it to one of those icons.  The rest of us could come up with more meaningful ways to leverage them.  Something for everyone.