You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a transparent mask for one color

I have a preexisting Logo in 3 colors on transparent background. I imported it from a .eps ceated bei AI. This logo should be printed in two colors only (on a white bag). Means I have to convert everything that is white to transparent.

Can anyone direct me to tutorial on how to create a Mask with all white colored areas and make that transparent? Simply changing the color white to transparent will not do, as this will simply bring the black behind it to display....

Not sure it that matters: Most of the logo consists of curves, but there seems to be one part that is an image (selected on the attached screenshot).However the image part seems not to be rasterized - all colors are solid.

2019-10-07_10-20-05-012.png

• Staff

Hi TerraD,

Can you attach the file for this, just it looks like the selected object is an image (it's even identified as one on the layers panel) but looks like it has a clipping mask applied.

Also not sure you're aware, but your whites are actually yellow, at least in the attached screenshot anyway, do they appear that colour on screen for you?  

Hi

Thank you for your support. Yep, I think this part is an image - but I do not understand your remark concerning the clipping mask. Actually I think I could easily redraw the image part in Affinity designer, so that it would consist of curves only. I did not do this, as I did not see how this would be an advantage to solve my basic problem described above. 

Concerning the white: I have no idea where this is coming from: I only have that problem in Affinity (all tools) and in PDF-X-Change editor. First I thought this to be a feature, but I think it is not! I assume there must be some color profile (in my Windows-System???)) that only gets applied by those programs. Tried to find a solution but never found one. Both programs have the wrong color not only on the screen, but when printing as well. However when I export to PNG or PDF colors seem to be correct. It's annoying but up to now I was able to live with that....

DCT mit Text ai.afdesign

So, you want to mask the black oval with letters DCT and also make the green text's white shadow transparent. Background can be set to transparent from document setup, and you can also remove extra white oval to reveal transparent below green oval.

Takes some fiddling to create the masks (or create booleans). Are you sure your printer cannot just ignore the white plate?

12 minutes ago, Fixx said:

So, you want to mask the black oval with letters DCT and also make the green text's white shadow transparent. Background can be set to transparent from document setup, and you can also remove extra white oval to reveal transparent below green oval.

I think you describe this excellently. I hoped there would be a way to simply create a mask with everything that is white and than set this part to transparent. Background is already transparent. 

12 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Takes some fiddling to create the masks (or create booleans). 

Yep, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Tried to find information on how to create that mask and how to make the graphics transparent there, but did not find anything in the help nor in the forum - I suppose there is just too much information to find the correct hint :-). Due to how this was designed in AI I think masks will work better...

7 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Are you sure your printer cannot just ignore the white plate?

Hmmm, good question. I usually send them the correct PDF. I'll check on that. Anyway, I think I should master the treatment of such a mask anyway for the future!

Thank you very much for you nice support! Excellent work! I slightly adjusted one of the claws (added 2 'sharp' nodes), but it really looks nearly identical as before! Obviously you know a lot more than me regarding AI and CorelDraw and understood the concept easily!

In particular I do not understand what has happened with the huge DCT letters - those used to be 3 objects D C T before and are an outline and 2 segments now. Was this needed in order to be able to make white transparent?

While I love that we can print this now, I hate at the same time that I still have no idea how to redo this next time I stumble about a similar problem....

14 hours ago, Lagarto said:

... and while it does not seem to be as capable as Illustrator or CorelDRAW, it did feel like a good node editing tool, and quite intuitive to use. ...

This was exactly the reason I decided years ago for Serif Draw and upgraded later to Affinity Design. I think if you are not using Illustrator or CorelDRAW every day they are far to complicated to be mastered...