You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I cannot save my adjustment layer effects in Photo

I have a line drawing, black and white.  However the linework is too light.

I go into adjustments and set the contrast to darker.  It looks good.  But I need to save it as a .png or .tiff or .jpeg.  When I do that it reverts back to the original with the too-light-linework.

I have tried everything.  How do I merge the layers and retain the higher contrast I got in the adjustment layer?

Thanks for any help with this.

5 hours ago, Wosven said:

Did you try Layer > Merge visible? It should give you  a new layer with the final result you wan to export.

But should that be necessary? Shouldn't the effects be part of an exported JPG, PNG, or TIF file automatically?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here are screen grabs of the different steps.  I did the "merge visible" as recommended but that did not work either.  Maybe I am missing something but when I used Photoshop (which I am no longer subscribing to) When I merged it flattened the layers.  Here the merge visible simply adds a pixel layer, but as you will see (the change, in contrast, is slight) the contrast is lost and the linework reverts back to the original.  I also tried exporting the jpeg but the darkened contrast is not there...as is shown in the last attached screenshot.

The first attachment is the original linework.

The second shows that adjustment.  Very subtle but the linework is darker than the original.  I would like to learn how to make it even darker.

The third shows the result of "merge visible."

The fourth shows the exported jpeg pasted below the original.  The linework shows no adjustment.

Thank you to everyone who has given me input to try to see what I am doing wrong.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Did you tried with an exagerated adjustment to check if at least the export is different?

Does the Contrast adjustment used in mode Multiply get a different export?

(It's not how it should work, but perhaps you'll have a suitable result while we try to understand what happen… and how to fix it)

Actually I used the "multiply mode" on this one.  So it did not work.  I did use the "export" but I do not know what you mean by an "exaggerated adjustment."

Thanks for your input Wosven.  I very much appreciate all the help this forum is providing me.