You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

General Strange Behaviour

Ian R

Hello,

I've been using Affinity for a good few years professionally and I love it!  However, seemingly regularly I come upon some weird behaviour which means the program stops running smoothly, and eventually it seems to lose it's mind... I have 32 Gb of ram and a gtx 970, not top of the range but decent enough to cope with many layers and effects going on, which is good, because work can take on all forms!

Does anyone else experience this general 'weirdening' of AP's behaviour after a certain amount of work on a file? Brushes stop working, layer boundary boxes appear in places that have no relation to the object selected in the layers panel, erasers stop erasing, layers can't be selected properly.... I cannot seem to pin down any one action which sets it off, and so I normally just 'plod on' and find a work around. Often a save and restart can fix it but sometimes not. Blimey it frustrates and baffles me sometimes

Anyone else with this kind of experience?

[Edit] Since I cannot load up the file as it says the file is not supported, although I can open the original file, I don't have any evidence for you.

Thanks in Advance

Ian

test2.afphoto

• Staff

Hi Ian,

That does sound odd. I have all three apps open all day long on Windows and macOS and I often leave my machines on for days at a time and never experience this.

Are you using any special hardware at all such as a tablet?

The file won't open for me either so it may have become corrupt during the upload. Are you able to do a screen recording when this happens?

Hi Chris,

Capture attached. Hopefully I made it clear that although I have a bunch of similar layers active in the file, some visible and some not, that it's not a case of me getting mixed up with selcting the wrong layer, but it just seems to have lost it's ability to make sense! 

I use a Wacom Intuos Pro small (PTH 451) and sometimes it seems the driver of this tablet can stop working - and I do wonder if it causes these other issues I speak of here, but it happens if I use the mouse also (GIF was created using the tablet. The file I tried to upload twice would not load up once downloaded, but I have left it here incase there's any diagnosis that someone can do on it.  You can see the behaviour in the gif is strange... never seen that before. That is using the file I tried to upload.

AP file lost it's mind.gif

• Staff

I can clearly see the difficulty you've been experiencing. Can you check to see if Windows Ink is enabled? This has been known to cause an array of issues with Affinity in the past. We are planning on improving this at some point but it's worth disabling for now.

I'm not quite sure why the mouse is being affected though. Does it only affect the mouse after the tablet seemingly stops behaving?

I think I had that earlier today

It was when I had a selection active and I had selected it with the Move Tool, I started to see what you were seeing when you select various other layers

I could not immediately see I had a selection active as I had View > Show Pixel Selection turned off.

To cure it I just used CTRL+d (Select > Deselect)

Try that next time it happens to see if it is the same problem

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 For me ctrl +d has seemed to fix the strange selection window bug.  However the ghost images (see below gif again) seem to have imprinted themselves onto the second to lowest layer. They have no corresponding select-able layer. 

@Chris B FYI even if I copied said corrupted layer (all layers in document were like this) into another clean new document, the layer transported the corruption over also.

AP file recovered itself it seems.gif

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

... I'm not quite sure why the mouse is being affected though. Does it only affect the mouse after the tablet seemingly stops behaving?

I use the pen all the time and only switch to mouse to go between screens sometimes .. and since I mostly on tablet I never really know if it only affects the mouse after the tablet seemingly stops behaving because they both stop behaving at the same time

• Staff
18 hours ago, Ian R said:

@Chris B  try this file - saved after the corruption seemed to have disappeared...

test3.afphoto

For some reason, the files you're attaching are broken. I'm not sure how or why this is happening. 

17 hours ago, Ian R said:

I use the pen all the time and only switch to mouse to go between screens sometimes .. and since I mostly on tablet I never really know if it only affects the mouse after the tablet seemingly stops behaving because they both stop behaving at the same time

That's fair enough.