You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving files causes computer restart

systerm: win 10 1903 

Mircosoft Store latest edition

Everytime I saved files, computer would restart and fail to save files. I tried to change file name and location, but still not work.

The afdesign file was created, but could not open. It said "Failed to open. The file type is not supported."

Desert.afdesign

Welcome to my personal page: Don Lee

The file can't be opened, it's a zero bytes file, so I get "The file type is not supported". It has probably more to do with your computer or Windows than AD.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

9 hours ago, AlainP said:

The file can't be opened, it's a zero bytes file, so I get "The file type is not supported". It has probably more to do with your computer or Windows than AD.

I think it's not my computer's problem, I install Affinity Designer just after installing win 10. And the desktop version Designer can save file successfully. I want Serif to change my software from UWP to Desktop version, because UWP version can't work. (UWP version is more expensive than desktop version.) That's rediculous.

Hi @all,

first of all, I like to work with your Affinity Designer & would love to be creative with it again.

BUT:

I've got exactly the same error. When I'm trying to save a file(save & save as), the folder window pops up and as soon as I click the save button, the whole system CRASHES HARDLY and reboots. I can find a corrupt 0 KB-.afdesign-file after booting up again.

This only happens in Affinity Designer since yesterday. Other programs are working fine and can save as usual.

It worked until the 4th of October!

I bought it via Microsoft Store and it worked like a charm before (the last weeks).

I'm using Windows 10 x64 (1903) with the latest updates installed(+ all drivers look fine in the device manager).

I already reinstalled the latest NVIDIA drivers(gameready and studio were tested).

Reinstalled Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 via Microsoft Store.

I couldn't find a fix, yet.

So please provide a fix or workaround as soon as possible!

Or maybe give a hint, whats causing the trouble with AD, so that I can find a solution to work with it again. 

But to be honest, without a SAVE function, it wouldn't make any sense to create something with your piece of software.

many THX

Edited by Matl

2 hours ago, Don Lee said:

UWP version is more expensive than desktop version.

What do you mean that the UWP version is more expensive than the desktop version? Generally Serif charges the same price as the Microsoft Store for your region, unless they are having a special sale.

But if you bought from the Microsoft Store there is no way that Serif can change your purchase to the desktop version. They have no knowledge of any Microsoft Store purchases; only Microsoft knows about those.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What do you mean that the UWP version is more expensive than the desktop version? Generally Serif charges the same price as the Microsoft Store for your region, unless they are having a special sale.

But if you bought from the Microsoft Store there is no way that Serif can change your purchase to the desktop version. They have no knowledge of any Microsoft Store purchases; only Microsoft knows about those.

Got it. The point is UWP version can't save file, and desktop version works. I need to use this software now... I don't want to buy it again...

9 hours ago, Don Lee said:

Got it. The point is UWP version can't save file, and desktop version works. I need to use this software now... I don't want to buy it again...

That's very strange.

How did you test the desktop version? Did you download the trial version of 1.7.3.481? Or the beta version 1.8.0.486?

If you look at Windows logs (perhaps in the Event Viewer?) can you see what the Windows failure was that caused the reboot?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

"It worked until the 4th of October!"

On October 4th a Microsoft 10 update was installed: KB4524147, which is causing printing and start menu problems to many.

Maybe this has something to do with your saving problem. Try uninstalling it and see if it changes something.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

18 minutes ago, AlainP said:

On October 4th a Microsoft 10 update was installed: KB4524147, which is causing printing and start menu problems to many.

Maybe this has something to do with your saving problem. Try uninstalling it and see if it changes something.

I tried reinstalling, but still not working. I purchased desktop version today, that's working.

I decide to abandon UWP version from now on.

53 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

How did you test the desktop version? Did you download the trial version of 1.7.3.481? Or the beta version 1.8.0.486?

I decided to turn on desktop version, I purchased desktop permission. 

5 hours ago, AlainP said:

I've uninstalled KB4524147 and its saving again, without crashing. So it seems to be a Windows issue and not an Affinity Designer issue. My apologies.

Thanks to AlainP for the hint.

• Staff

Hi guys,

Was it a Blue Screen of Death you were getting? If so was it in the cldflt.sys file?

We've had a few reports of this with Windows Store users, but unfortunately this is not something being caused by our software. User mode applications (i.e our apps) are not capable of causing a BSOD on Windows. It is only kernel-mode applications (in most cases drivers) that can cause them.

The cldflt.sys file listed belongs to Microsoft's One Drive (which I believe is tied into parts of the Save dialog) so that would explain why it happens in Designer when attempting to save files.

There does seem to be a few users (notably HP machines) who are getting this in other applications such as Outlook when saving attachments:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrives-cldfltsys-causing-ntfssys-bsod/d2ef7f16-9e45-406f-95ca-6e595271e6d9

I would suggest you disable One Drive for the time being and stop it from starting when you turn your machine on and see if that improves the situation.

I had BSOD because of cldflt.sys file. Unfortunately, I cannot disable OneDrive, since I have all my stuff there, and I use at least two computers at all times, so it syncs automatically. Can you contact Microsoft and try to resolve the situation?

@Tytus

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

11 hours ago, Tytus said:

Can you contact Microsoft and try to resolve the situation?

Since this problem seems to NOT be exclusive to (at least some of) the Affinity product range I am not sure that Serif can reasonably be expected to "contact Microsoft".  As a One Drive user affected by problems that M$ has created I think you need to raise this with M$ yourself.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

As I've mentioned elsewhere in the forums, I started seeing BSOD failures in cldflt.sys on one of my systems after installing Windows update KB4517389. Errors occurred when using several menu items, such as Text > Show Special Characters in Publisher, and View > Show Grid in Photo.

Uninstalling the update fixed the problem. Probably disabling cldflt.sys would, too.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Please read the (rewritten) FAQ which says that Microsoft have now fixed this bug in December's Windows Patch

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon