You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD has just crashed (quit unexpectedly) on me. What should I do? All the open files recovered OK. There is a report I can send to Apple but would that do any good?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Can you please send us the crash report by going to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the one with the latest date and time and select Reveal in Finder then send us this file.

I hope I've done this correctly.

Affinity Designer_2019-10-06-162643_Jacks-Mac-mini.crash

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi @jackamus,

I can not find this report can you manually send me the report by going to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the latest Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder and then send me the file.

I did do this but but when I open Finder where would I expect to find the report amongst all the other files and folders?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

6 hours ago, jackamus said:

I did do this but but when I open Finder where would I expect to find the report amongst all the other files and folders?

If you do exactly what @DWright suggested in this earlier post, when you click "Reveal in Finder" the folder containing the file will open with the file highlighted.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I did what was asked and this is what I have come up with. So what file am I supposed to send? I made a screen shot but it will not load.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Try this one again. Affinity Designer_2019-10-06-162643_Jacks-Mac-mini.crash

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

12 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I did what was asked and this is what I have come up with. So what file am I supposed to send? I made a screen shot but it will not load.

Don't take a screen shot. With "Affinity Designer_2019-10-06-162643_Jacks-Mac-mini.crash" selected in Console, from the File menu select "Reveal in Finder" (or use the CMD + R keyboard shortcut). In the Finder window that opens, that file will be selected. Drag it from the Finder window into the "Drag files here to attach" section of your post (where the paperclip icon appears). You can also click on the "choose files..." link & navigate to that folder but it is much simpler & easier to arrange the screen so you can drag from the Finder window into the 'drag files here' area of the reply.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I get as far as 'User rep[orts' but one that is highlighted is a mini crash for another App that I use. So the Affinity report, I imagine, should be an earlier one OK? But when ~I look at them they have nothing to do with Affinity. Having said that in the 'User Reports' folder is another folder 'New Folder With Items', and when ~I click on that I can see the Affinity report, when I right click it I get 'Reveal in Finder' and then get various option none of which say 'Drag the files here to attach' but I do have one that offers me to 'Copy' the file and here it is. Affinity Designer_2019-10-06-162643_Jacks-Mac-mini.crash.

This is the file I sent earlier.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

If  "Affinity Designer_2019-10-06-162643_Jacks-Mac-mini.crash" is highlighted, it is an Affinity Designer crash report, one that occurred on the sixth day of the 10th month of the year 2019. (The last six numbers are related to the time of day the crash occurred.) So in Console use the "Reveal in Finder" option to open the folder with that file automatically highlighted. Drag that file into the area of a new forum reply at the bottom where it says "Drag files here to attach."

That drag option is an option of the forum software, not of Finder or the Mac OS or anything else, so this is the only place you will see it.

Affinity Photo 

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

That may be difficult. When you say work flow what do you mean?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I was working a complex technical drawing and I may have been trying to get either a guide or object to snap but I can't be sure.

When a crash happens I imagine that a 'snapshot' of the file with its last move (in its history?) recorded - is this correct?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
On 10/14/2019 at 9:57 AM, jackamus said:

I was working a complex technical drawing and I may have been trying to get either a guide or object to snap but I can't be sure.

When a crash happens I imagine that a 'snapshot' of the file with its last move (in its history?) recorded - is this correct?

Sorry for not replying sooner. Unfortunately, the crash log will only state which thread crashed and which part or area of the app crashed with some info about the type of exception. The developers can sometimes work out from the crash log what part of the app crashed but most of the time we need the document and the steps used to be able to replicate the issue so our developers can properly sort the issue.

If you can replicate the issue, let me know the steps and I will look into this further for you :)

OK. Next time if there is a crash, I'll be more careful about reporting what happened.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Its happened again!

Here is the link: Affinity Designer_2019-10-25-123610_Jacks-Mac-mini.crash

Attached is the file I was working on when it crashed. This is the restored file. I had just pasted a copy of the component into the drawing and was about to change its line thickness when it crashed.

Let me know if you learn anything from this

Motor hub 2 .afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi @jackamus,

Can you please provide me with the workflow steps that you took as when I copy and paste any of the components in the drawing and change the stroke thickness I am unable to replicate the crash that you are encountering and unfortunately the crash report does not contain any specific reason for the crash.

Check the image that is overlapping and out of line with another image. It was this image with the thicker lines that I wanted to change to match the other images. Does this help?

PS What then does the crash report show? Is this something that only Mac would know?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0