1. Create a group of several layers of any kind

2. Add a mask layer to the group

3. Ungroup the layers

4. The mask layer has been deleted

This only happens to mask layers subsequently added to existing groups. Mask layers that exist before creating the group are not being removed when ungrouping the layers.

AP 1.7.3.481

The mask was on the Group not on a specific layer included in the Group. So when you delete the Group it's mask is also deleted. Expecting the mask to remain is like adding a mask to a pixel, image or curves layer, then deleting the pixel, image or curves layer and expect the mask for that layer to stay.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 ; Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.464; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Fair enough, but when I ungroup a layer group it is rather a change in structure than a deletion. I can see that techically theĀ  group is deleted, but I don't tell Photo to literally delete anything.

Well the structure part "Group" is removed, ie; deleted isn't it? What I'm saying is the Layer called Group is removed, and that is what the mask is tied to.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 ; Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.464; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD