You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Repeated Crashes on Long Document

I am working on my first long document (as opposed to brochure type content). It is a book-long text of about 300 pages. Text cleaned up in BBEdit and loaded into Affinity Publisher. Styles set up etc and everything working smoothly until I got to page 104 of the text. At that point Affinity began to crash and would not let me go past a paragraph. All crashes recorded by Apple. The computer is a Late 2012 MacMini 2.3 Ghz with 16 GB of RAM. It never failed even once with Adobe Indesign. This morning it has crashed four times and will not allow me to continue working. I have run Clean My Mac, quit all applications. Restarted. All the usual stuff. It seems to be something to do with text flow as text flow quit but I was able to re-establish the text flow quickly and it appeared to be working fine. There are no graphics in the document.

Necrologies 2019 AFP Ver 2.afpub

4 hours ago, n17man said:

Text cleaned up in BBEdit and loaded into Affinity Publisher. Styles set up etc and everything working smoothly until I got to page 104 of the text. At that point Affinity began to crash and would not let me go past a paragraph.

Probably of no help with your problems but on my iMac (with just 8 GB of memory) I have no issues going to any page or spread & selecting any text on it. As downloaded, the text ends on page 112, although page 113 is filled with returns (empty paragraphs). The document actually seems to have 466 pages, & from what I can tell the frame texts of all pages from 3 to the end are linked.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

While I don't see the crash happening I do have a suggestion.

Use Text Frames on the Master Page to hold your book's text. This will get rid of some of the mess and the 'missing pages'. Thie missing pages is indicated by the text over flow shown as red dots.

Use Page or Frame breaks instead of multiple returns, this can be part of a Paragraph style used for chapter heads(section heads). Use Space Before and Space After for breaks of a few lines instead of several Paragraph returns.

1854198102_ScreenShot2019-10-06at8_45_47AM.thumb.png.a5938c1377e21cc27aa1c206b7191930.png

Use the Section Name from the Fields Studio  to add the section's name to your Page Header on the Master Page.

1154261744_ScreenShot2019-10-06at9_09_52AM.thumb.png.1f2fb20d1b9d73b9bf31ee75bddd38cd.png

I would say you should use the formatting power of Paragraph Styles to add the spacing whenever you can, whether it is leading or a page break or just the location on the page for a paragraph in the start of a new chapter.

Tip: Set up two chapters, the way you like them. They don't even have to be complete chapters so long as they have the various elements for the Paragraph Styles you want (Chapter Name, Quoted Excerpts, Sub heads etc). Then you can import the text of the entire book (As Plain Text, No Formatting) and just go through and apply the styles. Mark each chapter with something like !!Chapter One !!Second Chapter and each Head with @@Headline one @@Headline two then you can just use Publisher's find and replace to get to the !! mark and replace it with <Chapter Heading Style> and @@ with <Sub Head Style>. I rarely have two !! or @@ in the text I am setting but I will check before committing to those marks for the plain text version.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, n17man said:

I am working on my first long document (as opposed to brochure type content). It is a book-long text of about 300 pages. Text cleaned up in BBEdit and loaded into Affinity Publisher. Styles set up etc and everything working smoothly until I got to page 104 of the text. At that point Affinity began to crash and would not let me go past a paragraph. All crashes recorded by Apple. The computer is a Late 2012 MacMini 2.3 Ghz with 16 GB of RAM. It never failed even once with Adobe Indesign. This morning it has crashed four times and will not allow me to continue working. I have run Clean My Mac, quit all applications. Restarted. All the usual stuff. It seems to be something to do with text flow as text flow quit but I was able to re-establish the text flow quickly and it appeared to be working fine. There are no graphics in the document.

Necrologies 2019 AFP Ver 2.afpub

Attached is a revised version of your file.  I have had a good long look at your file, and first discovered that there was a major break in the text frame links.  In your document I discovered extra pages 466-807 - some with your book text in it, most blank and linked.  What happened was that the text frame link on page 112 was linked way down the pages to something.  Can't even remember.  Anyway, I unlinked p. 112, and then proceeded to the Pages Panel, where I scrolled down and began selecting blocks of blank pages, then went up to DOCUMENT>Delete, and chose several hundred pages at a time.   When I finally had every single blank page deleted from the Pages Panel, I went back to page 1, and checked the text frame links to be sure that they were all correctly linked.   When I reached page 112, I manually linked it to p. 113 and suddenly your text began to flow properly  I should note that at that point (pp. 114-115) your Master A was applied in reverse order, and I clicked on that page spread icon in the Pages Panel and chose APPLY MASTER A.  Starting with p. 116, you will need to correct the order of your two-page spreads (headers) throughout the rest of the document.  I haven't tried to figure out how to do that in one fell swoop, and after 2-1/2 hours of work, have decided to let you have a go at that on your own.

Importantly, I have managed to flow what must be your document from pages 1 to 431.   Some text appears to be missing at the bottom of p. 272 and the top of p. 273 (in my revised version of your file). There appears to be information missing.  I have also moved every text frame on each page to the correct position and deleted all of the many hopeful paragraph marks (Special Characters). 

I cannot promise that I have not bungled something, and must beg you to carefully edit everything.  For example, I believe there was a bibliography on pg 13, which seems to have disappeared.  Before I managed to get the problem sorted, I didn't have any crashes, but some serious colored-wheel-of-death issues trying to move text frames. Publisher worked beautifully -- and speedily -- once the whole text wrap snarl was sorted.   For what it is worth, I seriously snarled the whole text frame linking thing with the first long book I reworked, using Publisher for the first time.  

Hope this helps!!

P.S.  It would probably be a good thing to number your pages.  You can do that easily by placing numbers place marks on Master Page A.

Necrologies_2019_AFP_Ver_2_revised.afpub

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

Probably of no help with your problems but on my iMac (with just 8 GB of memory) I have no issues going to any page or spread & selecting any text on it. As downloaded, the text ends on page 112, although page 113 is filled with returns (empty paragraphs). The document actually seems to have 466 pages, & from what I can tell the frame texts of all pages from 3 to the end are linked.

Yes, they are linked. Should I have broken up the document. But that would not make sense as I then lose control over page numbers. My Mac is a MacMini Late 2012 with 16 Gb of RAM. Perhaps I made a mistake in preloading in all the text first. I wanted to do this to make sure that I had continuous text. Doing it piecemeal would run the risk of duplicate text or breaks. I spent a day just linking the frame texts to the pages. Everything was going fine until I hit this bug. Maybe I should post this to a bug page?

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Use Text Frames on the Master Page to hold your book's text. This will get rid of some of the mess and the 'missing pages'. Thie missing pages is indicated by the text over flow shown as red dots.

Use Page or Frame breaks instead of multiple returns, this can be part of a Paragraph style used for chapter heads(section heads). Use Space Before and Space After for breaks of a few lines instead of several Paragraph returns.

1854198102_ScreenShot2019-10-06at8_45_47AM.thumb.png.a5938c1377e21cc27aa1c206b7191930.png

Use the Section Name from the Fields Studio  to add the section's name to your Page Header on the Master Page.

1154261744_ScreenShot2019-10-06at9_09_52AM.thumb.png.1f2fb20d1b9d73b9bf31ee75bddd38cd.png

I would say you should use the formatting power of Paragraph Styles to add the spacing whenever you can, whether it is leading or a page break or just the location on the page for a paragraph in the start of a new chapter.

Tip: Set up two chapters, the way you like them. They don't even have to be complete chapters so long as they have the various elements for the Paragraph Styles you want (Chapter Name, Quoted Excerpts, Sub heads etc). Then you can import the text of the entire book (As Plain Text, No Formatting) and just go through and apply the styles. Mark each chapter with something like !!Chapter One !!Second Chapter and each Head with @@Headline one @@Headline two then you can just use Publisher's find and replace to get to the !! mark and replace it with <Chapter Heading Style> and @@ with <Sub Head Style>. I rarely have two !! or @@ in the text I am setting but I will check before committing to those marks for the plain text version.

I received the text as a Word document where the editor had used manual tabs and spacing all over the place. I take your suggestion of adding the section name to the Page Header which would mean probably around 35 separate section heads. Not a problem but I was hoping to just change the text manually as I went along with the Master Page simply setting spacing and layout. Yes I am using Paragraph Styles and I have the spacing built in. I remove the original editor's manual paragraph spacing so each individual paragraph style has its own above and below spacing. Works fine. I'm hoping someone can explain the crashes for me - is it a computer resources problem:?

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Thanks for the tips regarding formatting with Paragraph Styles. I like the Find and Replace approach. For some reason the text is flowing and formatting correctly again for me this morning. Can't explain it.

• 3 weeks later...