You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 Suggestions about TOC

1. (InDesign feature) Sometimes we break the title in the text with SHIFT + ENTER but we don't want that to appear into TOC. Soft return has to be replaced by space into TOC.
  2. (NEW) Sometimes text in TOC is too close to the page numbering. Please, add a feature where we can decide how close (1cm, 2 cm...) the text has to be to the page number.
  3. (NEW) In some cases, 2 text styles must be joined in TOC. Example:
    <Author>
    <Title>................#
    <SubTitle>..........#
                 need to be joined like:
    <Author>: <Title>............#
    <SubTitle>......................#
    Colon symbol is optional. or another symbol can be used. Of course, it can be done manually, but in cases of several TOC updates it is wasting of time.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

An improvement "Replace line breaks in TOC" has been added into 1.8.0 [Publisher beta is currently available if you care to check]. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 months later...

Thanks for solving first two options. I hope the third one will be added soon. It would be nice if we could have an option to change the places of paragraphs in TOC.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I agree. I had a case recently where I wished to have have two separate text styles on the same line in TOC that were separate lines in the text body. The gist of what I wanted to do was this.

In body:

Some heading
Some note

In TOC:

Some heading (Some note)...................28
Another heading (Another note)............59

The best I could come up with an automatic TOC was this:

Some heading
     (Some note)........................................28
Another heading
     (Another note).....................................59