You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot remove checkerboard "alpha" channel in stock image

I've noticed a lot of times when I open an EPS from adobe in affinity the layers aren't separated right. Not a problem with simple designs, but complex 3d objects have thousands of individual pieces, and I can't work with the vector. Is there a problem with this file or is this an adobe vs affinity issue? Is there some sort of function that uses a hardcoded alpha channel? Do I simply perform some sort of "replace alpha channel" function, kinda like a green screen? I'm pretty amateur at design so I'm sorry if there's something obvious I'm missing. I appreciate the help.

Disclaimer: This stock photo was purchased and licensed for a project I am working on for a client. This I.P. is not owned by me and the purposes of the upload are merely for education and evaluation and not duplication. If you want the image the Stock illustration ID is: 923622414 and it can be purchased legally at istockphoto.com - The artist's name is Pavlo Stavnichuk.

Edited by FreakinAwesome
Deleted file. Search istock ID number on istockphoto.com to see the file.

You should remove the file and if someone from Serif requests it, they'll give you a private upload link.

Likely it uses mesh gradient fills. They will come into Affinity applications in a bunch of pieces. 

There will also be a copy of the real Illustrator file within it which is what Illustrator actually opens, not the eps portion. 

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

There will also be a copy of the real Illustrator file within it which is what Illustrator actually opens, not the eps portion. 

I've noticed when I get a photo.ai file and not a photo.eps file it opens better in affinity. Is there any way affinity can read the AI file or detect Adobe created eps files? I feel like I need a copy of Adobe Illustrator just to open stuff. I've used Illustrator and I like designing in affinity better. Is the an import function I can use to better open Adobe authored files? 

5 minutes ago, FreakinAwesome said:

I've noticed when I get a photo.ai file and not a photo.eps file it opens better in affinity. Is there any way affinity can read the AI file or detect Adobe created eps files? I feel like I need a copy of Adobe Illustrator just to open stuff. I've used Illustrator and I like designing in affinity better. Is the an import function I can use to better open Adobe authored files? 

Simple AI eps files open fine in Affinity applications...which typically are not the kind you'll get from stock sites. CorelDraw can do a decent job, but it too can fail on complicated eps files. CD does better on native AI files. Affinity applications cannot open AI data whether in an eps or native AI file.

I have no idea what a "photo.ai" file is. But if you simply mean an AI file, as long as the AI file is saved with PDF data, it may or may not open fine in non-Adobe applications. Affinity applications can only open the pdf portion of an AI file, not the AI portion. If the AI file is not saved with the pdf portion, then Affinity applications cannot open it at all.

My experience is that AI open better than EPS when I get them from a designer regarding layers being separated.

What can affinity do to get better at opening files? I'm getting tired of getting crappy files from other designers and being told to just buy the Adobe suite because it opens fine in Adobe. Adobe has always been on the wrong side of the consumer and I don't want to support them. 

• Staff

I have investigated the eps file and the checker-board background is part of the design as it is used to simulate the magnifying effect using paths and as Designer does not support Adobe paths removing the checker-board leaves the image flat in the magnification area.

Okay, I'm fine removing the background and doing the magnification myself, but the background is somewhere jumbled in 100000 random shapes on two layers  when I open it in affinity. No groups, two layers, and the layers don't really assign to the objects well. Is this what you find when you open the file?