You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please: Alphabetical Sort of Adjustments

Hi,

I do not why it is set up so, but: can we have the adjustment list in alphabetical order? It makes no sense to have it messy.

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Thank you.
Obviously Serif does not care much, what makes me sad.

4 hours ago, JeffreyWalther said:

Obviously Serif does not care much, what makes me sad.

I don't think we can draw that conclusion. They have a lot of things to do, and they decide the priorities. I think it's clear that they do care, but each of us has priorities, and they simply don't match Serif's priorities.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Apart from that, suppose the adjustments will be ordered alphabetically, how about translations? Two options: again sort alphabetically, which means inconsistency between languages, or keep the original (English) sequence, in which case the sequence makes no sense again in the translated language.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

2 hours ago, RNKLN said:

Apart from that, suppose the adjustments will be ordered alphabetically, how about translations? Two options: again sort alphabetically, which means inconsistency between languages, or keep the original (English) sequence, in which case the sequence makes no sense again in the translated language.

Only alphabetical sorting makes sense. Individually for each language. And this is an easy task for any programmer (QuickSort, BubbleSort,...)!

If you use EN, you search for the English expressions rather for French, German or whatever. So you go through the list and pick the word in the current GUI language. I see no conflicts with alphabetical orders. If you use any other language than EN, then you also search for the according expression in that language. Sorting alphabetically only for EN and just translate it to the other languages is bullshit. You're searching and searching for the adjustments which is time consuming!

As mentioned in the other (linked) discussion, alphabetically sorting the menu elements in each individual language will not be good if someone is watching a video tutorial that is done using software configured to use a language they can’t read.
For example, if the video is recorded in software that uses the Chinese language (which I can’t read or understand), and the elements are sorted alphabetically by their Chinese names (remembering that I have no idea what they mean), how do I do a translation from Chinese to English when I can’t copy the text from the menu element to find out which element they chose? I have no idea how to enter Chinese characters or how to find each one to actually type it in. The process would be extremely difficult and time-consuming.
On the other hand, if the menu elements are always in the same order - no matter what language - then I can just pick the same one from the menu that the tutor chose without knowing what it is (until I see it in named in my menu, where it’s in exactly the same place).
In summary: alphabetical ordering by individual language is, in this context, bad; same ordering across all languages is better (not perfect, just better than not knowing what stuff is).

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

As mentioned in the other (linked) discussion, alphabetically sorting the menu elements in each individual language will not be good if someone is watching a video tutorial that is done using software configured to use a language they can’t read.
For example, if the video is recorded in software that uses the Chinese language (which I can’t read or understand), and the elements are sorted alphabetically by their Chinese names (remembering that I have no idea what they mean), how do I do a translation from Chinese to English when I can’t copy the text from the menu element to find out which element they chose? I have no idea how to enter Chinese characters or how to find each one to actually type it in. The process would be extremely difficult and time-consuming.
On the other hand, if the menu elements are always in the same order - no matter what language - then I can just pick the same one from the menu that the tutor chose without knowing what it is (until I see it in named in my menu, where it’s in exactly the same place).
In summary: alphabetical ordering by individual language is, in this context, bad; same ordering across all languages is better (not perfect, just better than not knowing what stuff is).

• First, if someone watches or reads a tutorial, he/she either chooses one in his/her language according to the set GUI or he/she has to switch the GUI to follow. There is no way around and everything else makes no sense.

• Second, no one ever will watch for example a Chinese tutorial having another language set and then count the items in the list to pick up the right one. This is just stupid. Again, counting items is stupid an no professional working at all.

• Third, you are way faster if the list is individually sorted. While in EN some items may be on top, in DE it may be somewhere else. But if you know the native expression, so you pick it up the one, like you do a name from the Yellow Pages.

• Fourth, you are too focussed on tutorial use case, not editor focussed who has to deal with it every day.

• Fifth, do not watch tutorials in a language you do anyway not understand. This makes no sense. O.o