You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad operating system 13.1.2 RAW File opening

Just installed iPad operating system update 13.1.2. Opening RAW format photos in Affinity Photo from Apple Photo no longer starts the Develop Persona. My camera is a Nikon D750. The file chooser in Affinity Photo indicates the selected file is RAW format. However, the Photo Persona opens the jpeg file instead in Photo Persona. This was not the case in the previous version of the iPad operating system. The number in the lower left corner of the Affinity Photo - Preferences - General tab is 1.7.3.155.

I had the same issue. AP could only open the rendered jpegs. A workaround is to move your raws to icloud/files and open from there.

Indeed the issue seems to be in iOS as, inspecting the files with the metapho app shows the raws are there, but ios is putting the rendered jpegs at the front of the file so AP can only open that and the real raw remains hidden.

Lightroom is still able to open the raws from any location in spite of the issue.

I spoke to apple about this extensively and the behavior seems to be typical of photos living in the cloud with icloud photos. Ios saves a rendered jpeg only. The crazy thing is I don’t have icloud photos enabled at all yet somehow all the original raws are being saved to my mac without any way to stop it. 

Luckily for me, I’m not seeing this happening.  I just went through and opened a bunch of various images, and they all opened in RAW.  I’m running the latest version of Affinity Photo with the latest iPadOS version on the 2018 iPad PRO 12.9”.

I use the CameraPro app on my iPhone XS and select RAW format to capture photos and default save to Photos.  The RAW file opens in the iPadOS Develop Persona.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Gabriel, I capture RAW + jpeg on my Nikon camera. I upload the files to Apple Photo with a card reader plugged into the iPad. Formerly, the jpegs would automatically back up to Amazon and the RAW files would open in Develop Persona when I selected them from the AP file choser. Now, after the operating system update, the jpeg opens in the Photo Persona rather than the RAW in the Develop Persona. If I only shoot RAW, the file will open in the Develop  Persona. But, then I lose my Amazon backup. I use Amazon Photos as my contact sheet. 

• Staff

I've just tried this here and it works fine. 

This was my workflow:

• I shot a few RAW+Jpeg
  • Plugged the SD card in reader and that reader in an iPad
  • Photos > Import tab > Import the photos
  • Affinity Photo > Import from Photos > Import the newly imported photos
  • They should be opening in Develop Persona

On 10/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, swenpaylay said:
8 hours ago, GabrielM said:

This was my workflow:

• I shot a few RAW+Jpeg

Thanks. I shall keep trying. The 4500 RAW files in Apple Photos which I cannot access with AP are backed up elsewhere. I can also get to them on the iPad using a couple of other apps. Not a disaster. Just inconvenient. Thanks again. 

• Staff

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the new iPadOS. Have you tried to disable Amazon Backup? There are known issues with 3rd party plugins/extentions at the moment in iPadOS. Dropbox Favourites folders for example don't always show. 

Could you try setting your camera to take RAW photo, without a second jpeg Photo? Then see if the RAW photo will I,port into Develop Person.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

He has already tried this :)

I missed the his point of losing Amazon Backup.  I really have not considered or looked at that, as I depend on iCloud backup.  It is something I will check today.  I thank you for pointing this out.

Cecil 

This is my experience (iPad Pro 12.9, Affinity Photo v1.7.3):

1. I always upload RAW(.dng)+jpg to Photos from a card reader

2. In Affinity Photo I import from Photos (I am using CloudPhoto)

3. During Import, all pictures in Photos open dialog show the RAW badge

4. Pictures uploaded to Photos after upgrade to iPadOS open in Develop (RAW) mode (this is what I want/expect to happen)

5. Pictures uploaded to Photos before upgrade to iPadOS open in Photo (jpg) mode

tl:dr. The only thing that's changed between 4 and 5 is the upgrade to iPadOS.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:37 AM, GabrielM said:

This was my workflow:

• I shot a few RAW+Jpeg

2 hours ago, Wireman said:

This is my experience (iPad Pro 12.9, Affinity Photo v1.7.3):

1. I always upload RAW(.dng)+jpg to Photos from a card reader

2. In Affinity Photo I import from Photos (I am using CloudPhoto)

3. During Import, all pictures in Photos open dialog show the RAW badge

4. Pictures uploaded to Photos after upgrade to iPadOS open in Develop (RAW) mode (this is what I want/expect to happen)

5. Pictures uploaded to Photos before upgrade to iPadOS open in Photo (jpg) mode

tl:dr. The only thing that's changed between 4 and 5 is the upgrade to iPadOS.

I have the same experience. 

7 hours ago, GabrielM said:

I'm not seeing this here.

Most likely because you uploaded your example pic to Photos on Oct 16. My problem is that pics I uploaded to Photos before the iPadOS upgrade won't import to Affinity in Develop mode.

ie: Try scrolling back in your Photostream and importing a RAW image uploaded to Photos a month ago or earlier.

• Staff

Nope. Still nothing. It works just fine. I start to believe it's Apple not feeding the RAW file, as we open whatever we are given from the Photos ap. RAW files are opened in Develop Persona, and everything else in Photo Persona. If new RAW files work but old RAW files don't, check if you have the "Optimize iPad Storage" option ticked in Settings > Photos. 

• Staff

That's the "problem" then. If your iPad is only storing "device-sized versions" of your originals, we cannot open something that's not technically there. Yes, the RAW file is on clould, but not in Photos. If you download that from iCloud and save it on your iPad, it should work fine :)