You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer update results in "Failed" error.

In two cases, when trying to update from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2 and also from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 when I downloaded the update setup file, it is interruped by "Failed" error. I have to download the regular latest version, have to reboot the notebook (before that the C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer folder is inaccessible - behaving like it's deleted but it's not - I have no rights to the folder even as an admin) and then do the normal instalation. 

• Staff
Please try the below suggestions. They should hopefully allow you to install our update without any further issues:

Restart your machine and try the installation again
Right click the .exe file and select ‘Run as Administrator’
Make sure your machine isn't in the middle of installing updates - this can lock files needed to install our app/update
Make sure your machine is fully updated by checking for any available updates
If you’re using an app, such as ImDisk, to modify where your TEMP directory is stored, please disable this and use the default Windows TEMP directory.

If you’ve tried all of the above and you’re still having issues, please send us your Setup log files. This will allow us to look into this further for you.You can access the setup log files by navigating to %TEMP%\AffinitySetup\ from the Run Dialog. You will want the folder with the latest Created/Modified Date. In this folder you will have two .log files: Setup.log & SetupUI.log.

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Nuno Cardoso said:

I'm having the same issue with 1.8.4 (Designer and Photo)
Cannot install by any means...and I followed the above suggestions, but still it's failing.

I have the logs, to who and how should I send them?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You could Open them in a text editor and look for errors (I generally search, first, for "error") and see if you understand it.

Or, as most users do, you could attach the files here for one of us to look at.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/17/2020 at 12:30 PM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You could Open them in a text editor and look for errors (I generally search, first, for "error") and see if you understand it.

Or, as most users do, you could attach the files here for one of us to look at.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

It's possible that someone from Serif staff to provide a Dropbox link so I can keep the logs private?
thanks!

ps: I didn't find any "error" in the logs, just failed in the end, so it's not clear where it fails.

1 hour ago, Nuno Cardoso said:

It's possible that someone from Serif staff to provide a Dropbox link so I can keep the logs private?

Yes, if @DWright or another of the moderators sees this they can certainly provide that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, if @DWright or another of the moderators sees this they can certainly provide that.

I think it’s fair to assume that Darren will see this, now that you’ve tagged him! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think it’s fair to assume that Darren will see this, now that you’ve tagged him! ;)

Well, in theory he would see it because he's Following the topic, but I figured tagging wouldn't hurt :)
(And this assumes, of course, that he's not taking some time off. )

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

just to give an update: managed to successfully install both updates for Designer and Photo. It was related with Windows Update that was giving the error.
So I needed to force some updates on my Dell laptop and then managed to run Windows Update again and, finally, update Affinity Designer and Photo.

Best.