You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

It's my first post here! Affinity Designer looks very promising, you have done great work!

There's only couple key features thats' missing:

- rotate canvas tool. This is must have feature if you are going to make affinity perfect for illustrators like me who uses Wacom cintiq and intuos. This feature works perfectly in Corel Painter (and pretty well in Sketchbook pro and PS) but there is no vector drawing software with this feature. I mean there's no way to draw naturally if you can't rotate canvas.

- appearance panel (like in Ai). I use this feature all the time.

I believe this feature is of great help.

But, from the programming point of view, I guess it would force an almost complete re-write of almost everything.

If not a complete re-write, at least a LOT of added/changed code.

All drawing routines would have to be adjusted.

All selecting/click detection routines would have to be adjusted.

All tools would have to be adjusted.

Lots of work!

I don't know how Serif code is but from my experience as a programmer, it is not something that is easy to add after so many things have been made.

• Staff

This already works :) ...but I've disabled it... I wrote the view stuff to cope with arbitrary transforms at any stage, so we could even perspective-transform the whole view and everything would work okay... However, I would need to clip the quads that are making the checkerboard background appear and at the moment I don't do it, so that's why it's not enabled...

I've actually got the 'rotate' gesture recogniser hooked up to it already in the build you're all using, but it just returns at the top of the function to disable it! :) (I can spin the view using my trackpad and a rotate gesture on my version!)

So, it's definitely something we considered from the beginning (rui_mac is absolutely right that if we hadn't written it with this in mind it could be a potential nightmare to add!) and will be added one day, but for now it needs a small amount of work and I haven't got chance at present... Keep watching this space!

Thanks,

Matt

Matt this would be awesome to have especially for painting in the pixel persona or any time you're working gesturally with a tablet. Would love to see this re-enabled. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

• Staff

I have to do something for multi-page layout that is a pre-requisite for this. I suspect that means I'll get a fully functioning version of this not long after Photo releases/maybe just before? It all depends on how everything else goes - I'm typing multiple things at once at the moment and I don't want to half-deliver on anything, so just give me some time :)

I'm typing multiple things at once at the moment and I don't want to half-deliver on anything, so just give me some time :)

You take your time. No pressure here. I am just glad to hear that it will happen! Thanks Matt! Hey and have a cold one on me  :)

• 2 months later...

Matt, it would be cool to be able to Modifier + Click on the pasteboard, get a momentary rotate cursor, and be able to rotate the window's view for sketching/painting etc...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt, is there any update on the rotate canvas or rotate view tool (like they have in photoshop)?

Adobe Illustrator don't seem to want to comment on their position on it as a feature? Odd too because if you look on their forum there are literally thousands of views on the topic, loads of people asking for it as a feature. I myself have been investigating it as a feature in a vector app for several years, and I can't believe someone hasn't included it an app yet?

I would think if you switch it on in Affinity Designer, and then publicise this around the web, so many more people would start to use your app. They have it (kind of) in Manga Studio, but it only stays editable as a vector in that app. If you search around and look at various digital art forums so many people are desperate for this feature.

Would be great to get an update from you on when it is likely to be switched on an included in Affinity Designer.

Thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a must for digital painting or any time you're using a tablet... Artrage does it nicely

Retrograde, but Artrage is pixel based though not vector, right? I can't find one vector drawing app that has rotate view tool, so if Affinity switches this feature on it will be the first!

Like I said, I can't even get Adobe to respond to the question of whether they will include it at some point.

• Staff

Well... I added canvas rotation to Serif DrawPlus back in 2006, I think, so... not quite the first, hehe! ;) Yes, I will definitely try to get it in soon, but my priority has to be on getting things like our boolean geometry operations to work more reliably as that could impact any user at any time and becomes a roadblock if it goes wrong, whereas this is an enhancement. Hope that's okay? :)

Thanks,

Matt