You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.3 Instant crash on text place or text paste. This software is sub-alpha

Seriously. I have not gotten Publisher to last more than 3 minutes without crashing. At this point I feel like I have been given a big f*ck you for supporting it. I have yet to save out a file of any worth. There is no way in seven hells I am going to trust any form of production to Publisher. 

I literally can't get text into the app without it crashing. Placing text crashes. Pasting text crashes. Importing from a Word file crashes. If I DO get text in, say, by typing manually, I try and edit a paragraph style, crashes.

At this point it's beyond a joke. The software is dead to me as I straight up can't count on it lasting 5minutes. Why bother learning how to use it WHEN IT CAN'T STAY OPEN FOR THE TIME IT TAKES TO BREW A CUP OF TEA. I update each time and get my hopes up, but they are smashed when yet again a supposed desktop publishing app freaks out when it sees text.

I would love to see an alternative to InDesign, but at this point I feel like I am being treated like chump for ponying up cash for an utterly sub-standard product.

Sorry, but I am bitterly disappointed with Publisher and won't be recommending it to anyone.

191005_Publisher Crash 001.txt

191005_Publisher Crash 002.txt

1961244M3_v23FINAL for testing.txt

5 hours ago, BobFossil said:

Seriously. I have not gotten Designer to last more than 3 minutes without crashing.

Designer?

You've provided dumps from Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not that any of us will claim there are no bugs, but your experience of near unavoidable crashes is not consistent with the great majority of users of Publishers. That would indicate that there is either some unique configuration issue with your computer or else some rare setting or use pattern that you have discovered.

I am not saying that there is necessarily something wrong with your system or the way you use it, just that there must be some small element or use pattern that is not true for the vast majority of users. I am sure that once the cause can be identified, then steps can be taken to improve Publisher so it handles the situation.

Now you may or may not be able to help find and provide the relevant information for Serif to work through the problem. If not—perhaps because of lack of time or willingness—then that is your choice, and it is an acceptable choice. You are free to move on.

Whatever you choose, the one thing I can say with certainty is that your evaluation of the software as being “sub-alpha” is a gross exaggeration. Obviously crashing every few minutes would be extremely subpar, but it is just as obvious that the vast majority of users are not experiencing this, which means there is something somewhere, probably something little, that has yet to be identified that is causing your issue. Serif I’m sure has every intention to fix it if they could just identify what it is.

Wanted to way in. I started using Publisher in July. I wasted three full days of work when the program started crashing for no reason I can discern and it also failed to save work. At the point that I could not save work -- obviously-- I gave up and went back to Indesign. I have tried since to no avail. Like OP I would love to get rid of Indesign, but obviously I am not going to use a program that for me is unusable. My experience almost identical to OP. I stopped visiting the forums when I first returned to Indesign. I've recently returned in the hope I would see some glimmer of hope. I'll unhappily be sticking with Indesign for the foreseeable future until Affinity can make Publisher a reliable program.

39 minutes ago, casey said:

Wanted to way in. I started using Publisher in July. I wasted three full days of work when the program started crashing for no reason I can discern and it also failed to save work. At the point that I could not save work -- obviously-- I gave up and went back to Indesign. I have tried since to no avail. Like OP I would love to get rid of Indesign, but obviously I am not going to use a program that for me is unusable. My experience almost identical to OP. I stopped visiting the forums when I first returned to Indesign. I've recently returned in the hope I would see some glimmer of hope. I'll unhappily be sticking with Indesign for the foreseeable future until Affinity can make Publisher a reliable program.

Most of us are using Publisher without the problems you're seeing. If you're willing to spend some time you might help Serif figure out why you're having these problems, and if they are due to a flaw in the program Serif might be able to fix it once you've helped them get enough information to figure it out.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1