You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Photo) move selection and not the entire layer?

So frustrated by this. I want to use the selection box and then move that specific piece, not the entire layer. Photoshop does this automatically where I never even need to think about it, it just works. Affinitiy is like 50/50, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to make it work the way I want 100% of the time? That should really be the default.

2 hours ago, Buffalo said:

I want to use the selection box and then move that specific piece, not the entire layer.

1. Make sure the layer you are working on is not locked

2. Choose a selection tool (Rectangular Marquee Tool, Free Hand Selection tool etc) and use it to select the area you want to move. You should then have the selection surrounded by "marching ants".

3. Select the move tool. You should see a bounding box appear around the selection.

4. Place the cursor inside the bounding box , hold down the left hand mouse key and move it to where you want, then release the mouse key.

Note that the above will "cut" the selection from its original position, leaving a hole.

If you prefer to move a copy of the selection, after step 3 on Windows version do an Edit->Copy (Ctrl C) followed by an Edit->Paste (Ctrl V)) which will place the selection on a new layer, and automatically select the new layer.

Step 4 will then move the copy of the selection.

Hope that helps

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

10 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

If that is a (image) layer, right click on it and choose rasterize

Yes,  I did miss that possibility. Thanks.

@Buffalo

Add that before step 2 on my list

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

4 hours ago, Buffalo said:

Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to make it work the way I want 100% of the time? That should really be the default.

No, there isn’t a setting for this. And no, it shouldn’t be the default, because having an ‘Image’ layer means you can transform (i.e. move, resize or rotate) the layer without losing any of the original data.

40 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

If that is a (image) layer, right click on it and choose rasterize.

When you rasterize an ‘Image’ layer it becomes a ‘Pixel’ layer. This allows you to work at the pixel level (e.g. moving selected pixels) but it’s destructive.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)