I believe this is a bug. With hyphenation turned on within Publisher, words separated by a slash seem to get treated oddly. For example, and/or at the end of a line is hyphenated as an-d/or, fast/slow as fast-/slow, he/she isn't hyphenated in any way, and longer words separated by a forward slash like anthropological/archaeological seem to break in all the logical places (and won't break at the slash).

This is with default hyphenation settings. I didn't see any settings that seemed relevant.

I can reproduce at least the fast-/slow division.

These kinds of "non-words" can be problematic, and I am not sure if they can be resolved automatically. PageMaker used to have a "non-breaking slash"  (ctrl+alt+/) that would keep the slash character always on the upper line but this was never implemented in InDesign. Instead, Ctrl + Shift hyphen is used to disallow hyphenation, or "No Break" character attribute is applied to characters that are not wanted to be divided.

Both of these features are supported in Publisher, as well: the former can be done similarly as in InDesign (pressing Ctrl+Shift + hyphen at the beginning of the "word" that is not wanted to be divided), and "No Break" can be applied as an option under the "Positioning and Transform" option group of the Character panel for the selected string of characters. 

Good to know.

I don't remember running into issues with how hyphenation/slashes were automated in InDesign, but that could be because the chances of encountering any were slim. It does seem like some sort of internal rule could be improved that would treat a slash as a non-character within a word, so that the three letter word 'and' would never be broken, and a hyphen would never be included at a slash. Now maybe there are cases where that behavior wouldn't be desirable... I can't think of any, but who knows?

11 hours ago, Nathan Shirley said:

hyphen would never be included at a slash

These are clear mistakes, no question about it, and there should be internal rules for these situations. I have no idea whether this is something that can be dealt programmatically outside of the hyphenation algorithms and dictionaries provided by the spellchecker Affinity apps use (Hunspell), hopefully it is. I suppose the slash character could have rules that are language independent. 

I just mentioned the methods to use to resolve these problems, which sometimes are clear errors (which are likely to happen anyway) and sometimes things that are not wanted e.g. for aesthetic reasons.

I guess that the non-breaking slash in PageMaker was used to disallow fast/slow kind of expressions to break at "/" (e.g., InDesign does break "fast/" on one line and "slow" on another, if necessary, and not manually prohibited) but even when it was allowed I do not think that the expression was ever divided with an added hyphen (and not at least as "an-d/or", which is really weird).

This not only happens with a slash, but also with other characters. The German Publisher 1.7.3.481 under Windows hyphenates also directly before bullets. The attached screenshots (never mind the bad justification and kerning) tells the reader of the original document which menu entries to select, and I decided to separate the menu levels with bullets. The strange hyphenation comes from Publisher. For the second image, I also tried the characters ¼®¥Φϖ☺ (instead of the bullet) just for fun, and each and every one of them makes the same hyphenation happen.

Unfortunately, since standard hyphenation algorithms normally only look up the probability of hyphens between pairs of characters, and the above characters probably never appear in any pair list, I don't have any idea how to solve this. The problems with the slash should be solved somehow, though, because slashes appear rather often...

Andreas Weidner

hyphenation.png

hyphenation2.png