You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyphenation bug with slash?

I believe this is a bug. With hyphenation turned on within Publisher, words separated by a slash seem to get treated oddly. For example, and/or at the end of a line is hyphenated as an-d/or, fast/slow as fast-/slow, he/she isn't hyphenated in any way, and longer words separated by a forward slash like anthropological/archaeological seem to break in all the logical places (and won't break at the slash).

This is with default hyphenation settings. I didn't see any settings that seemed relevant.

Good to know.

I don't remember running into issues with how hyphenation/slashes were automated in InDesign, but that could be because the chances of encountering any were slim. It does seem like some sort of internal rule could be improved that would treat a slash as a non-character within a word, so that the three letter word 'and' would never be broken, and a hyphen would never be included at a slash. Now maybe there are cases where that behavior wouldn't be desirable... I can't think of any, but who knows?

This not only happens with a slash, but also with other characters. The German Publisher 1.7.3.481 under Windows hyphenates also directly before bullets. The attached screenshots (never mind the bad justification and kerning) tells the reader of the original document which menu entries to select, and I decided to separate the menu levels with bullets. The strange hyphenation comes from Publisher. For the second image, I also tried the characters ¼®¥Φϖ☺ (instead of the bullet) just for fun, and each and every one of them makes the same hyphenation happen.

Unfortunately, since standard hyphenation algorithms normally only look up the probability of hyphens between pairs of characters, and the above characters probably never appear in any pair list, I don't have any idea how to solve this. The problems with the slash should be solved somehow, though, because slashes appear rather often...

Andreas Weidner

hyphenation.png

hyphenation2.png