You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

First Post

sketchyadam

Hi all. I've been playing around with the trial version of Affinity Designer for the last few days and so far I'm really liking it. I've dipped in and out of art as a hobby for quite a long time and just recently decided to dip back in. Here's something I did today. I based this on a randomly generated description of a critter.

creature.thumb.png.5f877688232a47317ba7581b5a534204.png

I've always been shy about sharing my work, but I'm trying to get over that. Even though it's only a hobby and something I can only devote a few hours a day to, I am interested in improving. Does anyone have any suggestions as to places I can post my work to get feedback? I know people post to places like Instagram and Imgur (which I've done), but those aren't really places geared towards getting criticisms of your work. A downvote on Imgur doesn't really give you a good idea of what you need to improve.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by sketchyadam
typo

I like it ..excellent piece of work...big fan of textures..I have a couple of suggestions to experiment with though...

a. add highlights to the mushrooms
b. add some dimension to the base ellipse...you have it everywhere else but not on platform upon which everything is sitting

look forward the the next one:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thanks so much for the feedback. I actually did try adding a little bit of a highlight on the mushrooms, but they were so light already that it didn't seem to show up much. Maybe I could have added a little rim light (if that's even the right term) to make them pop out more? For so long I stayed around from color, so I'm actually kind of new to it. It can be a bit overwhelming.

This is something I sat on for a few days hoping I would get time to go back and polish it up a bit more. Unfortunately, that hasn't really happened. I'm trying to get in the habit of getting to a stopping point with things, though. I have a ton of unfinished pieces and realize it's a bad habit I have.

eqea_1.png

Excellent!...You are definitely getting the hang of it....:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1