You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher question re: 3up on a page, bleed and crop marks

So I'm creating an RSVP card that has a bleed, and eventually will be printed 3-up on 8.5x11" paper.

In the past, with the software I'm used to, I create a master document of the RSVP card, with the bleed margins set. I then create a separate document for the 3-up, and place the master into this document 3 times. In this way, if changes are made to the master, the 3-up reflects those changes.

When placing the master into the 3-up, the software gave me import options when placing the master, one of them being that I could crop to the bleed bounding box.

After placing the master, I would create crop marks on the 3-up (which the software had scripts for doing).

So I could use some advice as to how to replicate this workflow in Publisher, at least to some degree.

In order to get crop marks in Publisher, it appears I have to export the master as a PDF. Which I've done. But when I import the PDF into my 3-up, it doesn't include the crop marks for some reason, even though I can see the crop marks when I open the PDF in Preview.

I'm starting to think that I will have to forgo the ability to link to the master, and simply copy and paste the master into the 3-up. Not ideal, but that is the only way I seem to be able to include the bleed. And then I will need to build the drop marks by hand on the 3-up.

• Staff

I don't believe the same workflow can be used when using Affinity Publisher. When importing/placing the PDF in Publisher you can change the Page Box to ArtBox. This will display the crop marks and all other printer marks if they where enabled when exported to PDF.

Usually print shops will only need the single version of the file, they will do the rest when it comes to layout.