You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Panorama in JPG takes 10 Minutes

Pemera

• Staff

Hey Pemera, welcome to the Affinity Forums!

It took my machine about 4 minutes to calculate the size and about the same to export, so about 8-9 minutes. I'm running with an i7-8700K.

It's hard to say if this is normal or not. It does feel like a long time though. 

Here it took 3 min 52 secs for the whole operation on the latest beta version, and exactly the same time in the .481 release version. After the calculations it takes 2 or 3 seconds to write the file, so I don't understand the "5 minutes to create the file" or "about the same (4 minutes) to export".

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

On 10/4/2019 at 11:46 PM, Pemera said:

Export Panorama 64MP (21007x3048 Px) in JPG (95%) takes 5 minutes to calculate file size, then another 5 minutes to create the file.

Constant CPU 100% utilization. Intel i7-7700k. W10 p.

Normal?

That's better than I can do with my Intel 07-2600 CPU, Windows 10 Pro (1903), 16GB RAM and GTX1050ti 4GB graphics card.

Using your afphoto file, the calculation took just over 7 minutes, and the rest of the export another 7 mins 30 seconds.

It's close enough to the same time exporting a non compressed 8 bit TIFF as it is the JPG file.

Interestingly if I select the 4 layers and do a merge selected, it takes about 7 minutes 12 seconds to flatten the file.

An subsequent export then takes only 5 seconds for the calculation and another 6 seconds for the write to disk.

Alternatively, if I select the 4 layers and do a merge visible, it takes about the same time (a bit over 7 minutes) to produce the extra layer which contains the flattened image.

After unticking the original 4 layers, the subsequent export then takes only 5 seconds for the calculation and another 6 seconds for the write to disk.

The reduction in calculation time using either of the above procedures, makes experimenting with Quality slider to give the file size you are after more practical.

With the second merge visible method the progress indicator gives a reasonably clear idea of where you are right throughout the process. Strangely the progress indicator when using the merge selected method acts differently, and for the majority of the time is a bit like a heart beat indicator. Not sure why the difference in the progress indication?

Edited by Greyfox
Corrected seconds to minutes

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

25 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Alternatively, if I select the 4 layers and do a merge visible, it takes about the same time (a bit over 7 seconds) to produce the extra layer which contains the flattened image.

I think you mean minutes.

You had me all excited until I tested it.  

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
16 hours ago, AlainP said:

Here it took 3 min 52 secs for the whole operation on the latest beta version, and exactly the same time in the .481 release version. After the calculations it takes 2 or 3 seconds to write the file, so I don't understand the "5 minutes to create the file" or "about the same (4 minutes) to export".

What CPU do you have? 2-3 seconds to write a panorama seems very quick O.o

Here the export of the file takes 7 min 12 sec.
if I reduce the radius in the unsharp masking filter from 634 px to 100 px, the export takes only 8 seconds.

Cheers

Pano.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

What CPU do you have? 2-3 seconds to write a panorama seems very quick O.o

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

If I uncheck the usharp mask the whole process takes 3.5 secs. So if the sharpness mask is needed it's better using a non live filter unsharp mask on a copy and save a lot of time.

This being said..... I wonder if the live filter works the way it should.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff
53 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

if I reduce the radius in the unsharp masking filter from 634 px to 100 px, the export takes only 8 seconds.

Great spot! So the max we can drag the slider to is 100 px but we can manually type in a bigger value which causes the huge delay. I imagine we capped the slider drag to 100 px for a reason and this might be it!

You can enter a number or just drag the cursor to the right on the image.

-- Macbook Air 15"