You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF import issues

I notice that aPub was recently updated. However, it still seems to have issues with PDF imports.

Here is how my PDF looks when open in a PDF viewer

original.jpg.2e5e3e8c2db5e3dbf546654523464cb1.jpg

Here is how it looks in aPub:

imported.jpg.c94e1746704985a5a03ae6c11d4c75c2.jpg

Attached is the PDF

PS I am not sure if PDF import was addressed in the recent update, so if it was not, then that's why it's still the same, so ignore this. I have brought this up on the support forum, but haven't made a bug report for it, so I guess this can be the bug report (I wasn't sure if support threads need to be filed separately, so apologise in advance if I have made a duplication). 

sample.pdf

This isn't a bug as such, it's just that at present APub doesn't support embedded fonts. The font used in sample.pdf is DroidSansMono. This font is available as a free download I think. If you try to open the PDF you will get a message that the font is missing and it will suggest an alternative which you can change if you want. Generally I have found the warning useful but the font suggestions not always right. But if you just import/place a PDF with missing fonts the font is substituted automatically without any kind of warning and IMO that is clearly a bad thing.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

57 minutes ago, MickRose said:

This isn't a bug as such, it's just that at present APub doesn't support embedded fonts. The font used in sample.pdf is DroidSansMono. This font is available as a free download I think. If you try to open the PDF you will get a message that the font is missing and it will suggest an alternative which you can change if you want. Generally I have found the warning useful but the font suggestions not always right. But if you just import/place a PDF with missing fonts the font is substituted automatically without any kind of warning and IMO that is clearly a bad thing.

Tried, it doesn't work with the font installed. Or even if the font is embedded. 

56 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Why not convert the text to outlines when exporting from the program you are using ?

The PDFs come from another software that doesn't have the option of converting to curves. I use Acrobat to do that at the moment, but then you can't edit the text. A big advantage of aPub over InDesign is the ability to edit text in PDFs. 

Your right. The font seems to be Helvetica anyway. The ability to put characters into words & lines is normally very useful, even if it's not always dead on, but in this case it doesn't work. If you want to edit this particular PDF you would be best using Acrobat itself or other PDF editing software.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

2 hours ago, MickRose said:

Your right. The font seems to be Helvetica anyway. The ability to put characters into words & lines is normally very useful, even if it's not always dead on, but in this case it doesn't work. If you want to edit this particular PDF you would be best using Acrobat itself or other PDF editing software.

Acrobat only allows limited editing. Affinity is miles better, but it's a shame it doesn't read the PDF properly. 

2 hours ago, haakoo said:

Well since it's just a word puzzle and not real text,you could insert the alphabet on a separate layer and hide it if not needed :)

That's what I do, but it would be neat if Affinity could read the PDF correctly, it would save a lot of time and give more flexibility too.

Here's hoping bugs can be fixed in future versions.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issue: It’s impossible to use PDFs with embedded fonts, e.g. ads. Trying to design a magazine with customer delivered ads, this is a nightmare and a complete no-go for a professional layout application. These PDFs are completely ok and proofed, and converting everything to pixels is not an option!

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jon P said:

We often tag posts with a report number, but that's mostly just for internal use and we don't do it every time we make a report.

I mentioned it's reported earlier in this thread, so often we'll let you know that it's logged when you report an issue

This could be a sticky somewhere. I used to think that if a thread was not tagged with one of those bug report numbers, it was overlooked. Now I've been around long enough that I understand the process, but newcomers may have similar misunderstandings.