You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Liz Fraser (Recolour)

AffinityJules

A (recolour) tribute to the amazing Liz Fraser. 1930-2018.

LIZ.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Nice work!

Thanks MikeW. As a fan I had to do some justice to her picture.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

And another from the same project.  Slightly different hues on this one.

1506.jpg

1546.jpg

Thanks Mike.

Apart from the flesh tones I'm working blind with no real idea what colours the clothing should be? Walls and floors are pretty much a given thing and I search for reference which is not always successful. But I'm having fun with this project and glad to read it is giving you wonderful memories.

More to come later. . .

I am currently colourizing some old films and the first image was too saturated for my taste so I made some changes to it.

If you are interested these are my observations:

1. The most important thing is that darker tones are also less saturated.

2. The "white of the eye" is not really white. Usually it's slightly pinkish.

3. The cheeks, the nose and the chin are usually *slightly* redder then the rest of the face. (The reddest part of a face are usually ears.)

Liz.thumb.jpg.3c55a29c4ba4fe891246b00eda91e582.jpg

Carry on Cabby.

C on C.jpg

On 10/9/2019 at 3:37 PM, AffinityJules said:

Carry on Cabby.

I quite like it. :) (Well, maybe except for the dress.)

I don't want to turn this thread to a competition but I hope my tricks could help a little bit... Or maybe someone else could share his/her...?

This is my "remix" of your image. It's not perfect but I hope at least some parts look more natural.

liz-cabby-remix.thumb.jpg.657df6a186bf01307dad2c4454258b10.jpg

And this is my basic layout:

colorizing-layers.png.e6f88ae153e7fbe113b7ff79cfc6dd7a.png

The basics are obvious: I put the grayscale image on top and set it to Luminosity. Then I create (below it) separate layers for each object and paint them with flat and rather vibrant colours.

The main trick is the "gray" layer that should tone down the saturation of dark shades. The solid gray is masked with a negative copy of the original grayscale image. I usually change the mask's levels (alpha) by moving 0 to 50 % too.

Then I tweak hue and saturation of objects that does not feel quite right yet and add some colour (well, mostly red) touches to faces and hands. Repeat the last step until you are satisfied or you got tired of it. ;)

It's a good idea to add some light colour reflection on neighbouring objects (the colour of the dress is usually slightly reflected on the neck and chin etc.) but I did not get to it on this picture.

Here's the full file with layers. Someone could remix it too. :)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqY4NY4gpRQkg0wy-Qdqvm9CwYtg?e=rpnFqi

1 hour ago, Gunny said:

I quite like it. :) (Well, maybe except for the dress.)

I don't want to turn this thread to a competition but I hope my tricks could help a little bit... Or maybe someone else could share his/her...?

This is my "remix" of your image. It's not perfect but I hope at least some parts look more natural.

liz-cabby-remix.thumb.jpg.657df6a186bf01307dad2c4454258b10.jpg

The basics are obvious: I put the grayscale image on top and set it to Luminosity. Then I create (below it) separate layers for each object and paint them with flat and rather vibrant colours.

The main trick is the "gray" layer that should tone down the saturation of dark shades. The solid gray is masked with a negative copy of the original grayscale image. I usually change the mask's levels (alpha) by moving 0 to 50 % too.

Then I tweak hue and saturation of objects that does not feel quite right yet and add some colour (well, mostly red) touches to faces and hands. Repeat the last step until you are satisfied or you got tired of it. ;)

It's a good idea to add some light colour reflection on neighbouring objects (the colour of the dress is usually slightly reflected on the neck and chin etc.) but I did not get to it on this picture.

Actually this particular project I have undertaken came from a whim, a whim I had to have some amusement with several B &W photos which I fancied turning to colour. I am not a professional by any means so I guess everything I do in the world of images is a candidate for criticism. I do things which look good to me and for the most part it is a "live" composite which I don't fuss over that much. I have no interest in whether or not my work appears as natural or not - just as long as I am happy with it, then all's fine by me.

Perhaps you might reconsider where you focus your own efforts on and stop trying to imprint your own personal preferences on someone else's enjoyment.

Just saying.

btw. . .I do not like your re-rendering.

At least back in the day, colorized photos were more "hyper-realistic" than eventual color photographs were. Much in the same way Technicolor was compared to later color film became. 

There is (at least) one person here who does coloring of photos that are pretty realistic. And I like them. Technically they are great.

But they don't evoke the same feeling as this series of colorized photos. Which I like also.

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

At least back in the day, colorized photos were more "hyper-realistic" than eventual color photographs were. Much in the same way Technicolor was compared to later color film became. 

There is (at least) one person here who does coloring of photos that are pretty realistic. And I like them. Technically they are great.

But they don't evoke the same feeling as this series of colorized photos. Which I like also.

I like your comment, Mike.

All I started out to do was to have fun and enjoy myself and to that extent I am.

Perhaps it all comes down to styles and preferences - I'm not so sure that I have either, but I still have fun regardless.

I dug up one of my mother. I can guarantee that other than her hair color (which is/was close), her skin tone wasn't like this colorization, and she said her lipstick wasn't so dark red...and one can see some of the blouse's pink that flowed onto the background above her left shoulder. They were not always as perfect as our modern sensibilities would like. 

Deleted the image...

I'll probably delete this...just seems weird having her picture in a forum...

MikeW I thank you for sharing, truly a beautiful woman.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

5 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Perhaps you might reconsider where you focus your own efforts on and stop trying to imprint your own personal preferences on someone else's enjoyment.

Sorry, I did not mean to ruin your enjoyment. :$ I really meant it as a tip you could use IF you are after more realistic colours.

(By the way, I'm not a pro either.)

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

they don't evoke the same feeling as this series of colorized photos

Definitely. There is no *right* way of colorizing. After all you are adding two thirds of picture data according to your own taste so it depends what do you want to achieve.

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

Much in the same way Technicolor was compared to later color film became. 

Yes. :) Even today you don't get "real world" when you take a picture. Every photo is just a distorted glimpse of reality and it is affected by the used technology and the taste of the photographer.

. . .with an artistic licence on the flooring.

1545.jpg

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Callum said:

This lady kind of looks like me...

me liz frazer.jpg

EDIT: Disclaimer Serif are not responsible for any mental trauma caused by viewing this image.

Arghhh! Can we cancel that date?

On 10/10/2019 at 4:33 PM, Gunny said:

Thanks for that, Gunny, learned something new again!

• 2 years later...