You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CorelDraw file import... any news?

I have been talking a lot about Affinity Designer to all my friends and colleagues.
From times to times, I get the question: And does it open CorelDraw files?

I have to answer that it does not... but eventually, it will.

I know that this was already talked about.

So... are there are news about it? If not... it is a feature that would gather lots more users.

The only thing I can tell you as a workaround is that Scribus 1.5.0 developmental preview DOES, in fact, import .CDR and .CMX files. You may be able to export these from scribus as .pdf and import them into Designer. If it helps, both AD and Scribus use LittleCms for color management.

Well, I can tell that to the people asking me about CorelDraw import abilities in Affinity Designer.
Personally, I don't use CorelDraw. Never liked it ;)

However, it would be a tremendous feature, to be able to open CorelDraw files in Affinity Designer.

Hi Everyone, I'd like to know if AD would support .cdr files in the future (directly within the app.) 

As posted above, many of my friends are asking me too. A lot of designers 

moved from win to mac. Especially here in Nigeria and some African countries I know, 

Corel is still used. I hope something can be done?

• 3 weeks later...

Loved CorelDraw. Especially the automatic node reducing functions after importing from a scanned image. Is there such a function in Designer?

I thought .cdr was quite similar to .ai. I seem to remember having imported some .cdr files into a Roland cutting plotter program (also on win) using the .ia import filter. Maybe it isn't that much work?

Anyway. I still have my old laptop since some stuff just isn't possible on a mac. I will have to export the .cdr to .eps or .ia or .svg.

Which format would likely give the best results?