You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame cannot be deleted

MJBFI

Potentially a bug.  I have a Text Frame that I cannot change except for the contents.  It appears with blue x's an all four corners and sides of the field.  The Text Field cannot be resized, moved, or deleted.  It is not pinned and the layer is displayed with a checkbox, but the check cannot be removed.  Screenshot attached.

60746706_ScreenShot2019-10-03at7_56_41AM.thumb.png.334320f105dc4f05c1c3ef4c62e75c28.png

I cleared the master and reapplied the same one again, and the text frame in question disappeared. :) I copied/pasted another similar text field on the same page with the same master, but it too "froze" in place.  I undid this action and then manually added a text frame, and can now fully control it.

53 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I'd still be curious to see what's going on

1 hour ago, MJBFI said:

It is not pinned and the layer is displayed with a checkbox, but the check cannot be removed.  

I came across something similar a couple of days ago. I meant to record it earlier but didn't have time. I've done it now and you can have a look at what's going on.

Incidentally, there is another issue there with pinned objects. The pin when moved snaps back to the original position. 

Please look at the layers. If you select a layer inside a master and then add any object that new object will remain locked and the only way of getting rid of it is to detach it and delete it.

This is as a consequence of the fact that a new layer is created above the selected layer in the layers stack.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

30 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Incidentally, there is another issue there with pinned objects. The pin when moved snaps back to the original position.

I think that has been reported elsewhere, and occurs for images pinned in text where the Text Frame came from a Master Page (as in your case). The workaround, I think, is to use Edit Detached before trying to move the pin.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Dear team

Using Mac with Catalina and Affinity Pblusher Version 1.7.3

I have the same problem as descript by user MJBFI. But not only with text box, the issue can appear with any box additionally added out of the master page. This can be Textbox, table, picture - maybe all additional assigned boxes.

I had a layout well working, then I decided to change to another one. I created a new file, created the new master page then copied the text from the first one to the new one. Most of additional added elements are blocked after copy in the new file

I realy wait for an solution.

Regards

Dom

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/26/2020 at 7:09 AM, Chief Joseph said:

Hello, I have the same problem. I have a picture in a picture frame stuck in the text frame. It also is not on the master pages. I cannot delete, I cannot move the picture.

It really sucks, please help.

cheers Andy

Publischer picture stuck.jpg

Same here !!! and it's 2 years later and it obviously still exists 😕

Obviously this bug still exists (since 2019) and now it's 2022...

How to get rid of these "locked" frames? - BTW I did nothing which could cause the frames to be "locked".... and no, they are not on the master page.

BTW, it's not possible to draw a table in a text frame, you first need to draw it somewhere outside the frame and then place it in the text frame... ??? Why?!!

Best

Ray

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 11.53.33.png

@RMP

Please upload a sample document (or page) that shows the error and please indicate which is the "locked" frame 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:45 PM, carl123 said:

@RMP

Please upload a sample document (or page) that shows the error and please indicate which is the "locked" frame 

Hi Carl, 

I meanwhile could get rid of it... although it happened without me being aware of what I did exactly...

But all f a sudden another bug(?) occurred... the moment I want to print a document it displays an preflight error...

when I click <Open Preflight> nothing happens.

A check of the Fonts shows "unsupported characters used" which is ridiculous because there are none... at least none which can be seen and none I entered willingly.

Best

Ray

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 14.45.47.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 14.48.53.png

If you select the line with the error then click the Locate button at the bottom of that screen it should take you to the frame where the unsupported characters were detected and highlight them. If you see highlighting but no characters just delete what is highlighted

13 minutes ago, RMP said:

when I click <Open Preflight> nothing happens.

Make sure View > Studio > Show Left Studio is ticked

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:09 AM, Chief Joseph said:

Hello, I have the same problem. I have a picture in a picture frame stuck in the text frame. It also is not on the master pages. I cannot delete, I cannot move the picture.

It really sucks, please help.

cheers Andy

Publischer picture stuck.jpg

On 5/9/2022 at 12:45 PM, carl123 said:

@RMP

3 minutes ago, carl123 said:

If you select the line with the error then click the Locate button at the bottom of that screen it should take you to the frame where the unsupported characters were detected and highlight them. If you see highlighting but no characters just delete what is highlighted

13 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Make sure View > Studio > Show Left Studio is ticked

sure View > Studio > Show Left Studio is ticked

I already did all that, and I have all necessary parts open... the only "thing" which is "highlighted" is the frame... see screenshot

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 15.08.26.png

3 minutes ago, RMP said:

I already did all that, and I have all necessary parts open... the only "thing" which is "highlighted" is the frame... see screenshot

Can you upload the .afpub file for us to examine? Or a subset of the file with the problem?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I seemingly should do this for as I now even deleted the frame and rewrote it....

Now it shows the next frame which I didn't change at all and it contains just the "page of Pages" information with the respective fields 😕

It seems, that Publisher creates some weird behavior over time... (and the way the relevant data is spread all over the place s just "clumsy" to say the least.

I would like to find all important information in one place, especially all data which is Character Style and Paragraph Style is concerned... publisher does it a pretty weird way what I am concerned, you never find all information for as it is spread all over the place... 😕

Ha... I found the "unsupported Character" by chance... it was a blanc (!) after a tilde character... but this character was on a totally different place (somewhere in the text) and definitely NOT in the displayed frame!

Enclosed please find the file with the relevant text

I will now change o some other work, I probably will get back to you sometimes tomorrow

Best

Ray

UnsupportedChars.afpub

23 minutes ago, RMP said:

Ha... I found the "unsupported Character" by chance... it was a blanc (!) after a tilde character... but this character was on a totally different place (somewhere in the text) and definitely NOT in the displayed frame!

Enclosed please find the file with the relevant text

Thanks. It is not a blank, as you can see with the menu Text > Show Special Characters:

image.png.8af9f1a3252eb27ed2c1b4c8ed620240.png

It is a control character, specifically U+001C, as you can see by placing the text cursor immediately after it and pressing Alt+U or using the menu Text > Toggle Unicode.

image.png.ef8b23e7eb875a27125866c7b7947dcf.png

And the meaning of that character is:

image.png.fa87e648b3c3e72325e41700b1eb6697.png

-- Walt
PC:

43 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. It is not a blank, as you can see with the menu Text > Show Special Characters:

image.png.8af9f1a3252eb27ed2c1b4c8ed620240.png

It is a control character, specifically U+001C, as you can see by placing the text cursor immediately after it and pressing Alt+U or using the menu Text > Toggle Unicode.

image.png.ef8b23e7eb875a27125866c7b7947dcf.png

And the meaning of that character is:

image.png.fa87e648b3c3e72325e41700b1eb6697.png

OK, but honesty, I couldn't care less about this information! And you totally miss the point! 

The point is, that Publisher neither shows the right frame nor does it show the origin of the problem!
And due to that one is wasting a big lot of time in searching (and hopefully finding) the culprit which would be a lot easier if Publisher would work as expected (even you expected Publisher to show me the "evil character" which it doesn't!

And BTW, I would be more than happy to find a short cut for <PageBreak> which I frequently make use of. It is clumsy and cumbersome and longwinded to always crawl in the 3rd nest of the text menu to select it.

Thanks

Ray

3 minutes ago, RMP said:

The point is, that Publisher neither shows the right frame nor does it show the origin of the problem!
(even you expected Publisher to show me the "evil character" which it doesn't!

When I double-clicked on the Preflight error message, it took me to that text frame, and it highlighted the problem character.

4 minutes ago, RMP said:

And BTW, I would be more than happy to find a short cut for <PageBreak> which I frequently make use of. It is clumsy and cumbersome and longwinded to always crawl in the 3rd nest of the text menu to select it.

If it's an important function to you, you can create a keyboard short for it in your Publisher Preferences:

image.png.15e9836072a3d9e6009d97041caeaf33.png

-- Walt
PC:

18 minutes ago, RMP said:

The point is, that Publisher neither shows the right frame nor does it show the origin of the problem

There is something a bit odd going on, Preflight finds and shows the problem but Font Manager does not

Will take another look tomorrow if I get time

12 hours ago, carl123 said:

Will take another look tomorrow if I get time

Simplified the problem but no more time today to upload the "results" as me and the Dog are going fishing. Will start a new thread tomorrow as possible bug report

With Publisher 1.10.5.1342 on Windows 10 (workflow 1)...

• Open the UnsupportedChars.afpub document, as attached above;
  • Open the Preflight Panel;
  • Double-click on the “Missing Characters” entry in the Preflight Panel.

The Frame Text layer containing the ‘contested character’ on the master page is selected and the ‘contested character’ is selected within that Frame Text layer.

All is fine there as far as I can see.

However (workflow 2)…

• Open the UnsupportedChars.afpub document, as attached above;
  • Open the Font Manager;
  • Click the “unsupported characters use” item;
  • Click the Locate button.

The Frame Text layer containing the Page Number is selected and no character is selected within that Frame Text layer.

That seems odd to me; why is a different layer selected?