You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and replace

Have you tried copying and pasting the character (from the text) into the Find field in the Find & Replace panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Probably the quickest way to get an answer is to copy some of that text into a new publisher document and upload it to the forum

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Cutting and pasting works for me but that text is in Myriad Pro which I do not have so the text was changed to Arial for me.

Someone with Myriad Pro should be able to follow up on this for you as it looks font specific

It uses the 'Right Single Quotation Mark' Glyph U+2019 in Myriad Pro. As @carl123 says, copying and pasting seems to work as expected.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Hopefully, a find and replace all will be super quick O.o

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

Just to make it even more complicated, I work on an iMac with UK keyboard but also have a German iMacAir. you would imagine that the characters on the German machine would be the same as the UK one if the keyboard is set to UK, but it seems not. Two distinctly different characters which look identical. 

Don't be silly, that would just make the job far too easy... :4_joy:

So not resolved. I am now on my iMac. I copy the character from the text ’ then past it into Find - result nothing.

On save the file then open it on the MacBook Air, copy the same character, then past in find and it works perfectly. How can this be?

Um, scratching my head! The video clip was using a UK keyboard and everything seems okay.

As a quick test, can you take a look at the Unicode for the character on both your iMac and MacBook Air just to check they are the same on both and there isn't anything odd happening between the two different keyboard layouts that might somehow impact the character?

On my MacBook Pro with UK Keyboard I see the character as Unicode U+2019.

unicode.thumb.jpg.bcdfede77b7100e3d35a575a27d06c5c.jpg

Place your cursor just after the character and then hit Ctrl U on the keyboard or go to the Text menu and select Toggle Unicode towards the bottom of the menu.