You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the best way to warm up this image?

Hi guys
Is anyone able to tell me the best way to "Warm up" this image as i've tried HSL & various other options in the adjustments but can't seem to get a basic warm feel.
Is it best to use photo persona? ...actual Affinity Photo  ...masks?

I often us Microsoft Photo to warm up images & want to get that feel but done properly in Affinity!

Cheers 

Pete

2019 b.png

Adding a Vibrance Adjustment (with both Vibrance and Saturation pretty high) “warms” it up a bit quite quickly but it probably depends on what you mean by “warm”. I’m no expert in this area so someone else should be able to give you more detailed information/instructions. (Just thought I’d give an idea of what’s possible quickly, rather than best.)

387295822_2019b.thumb.png.ed7746591f7c7139acc26774bd228850.jpg

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

but it probably depends on what you mean by “warm”

Agreed!  A simple S curve with the curves adjustment might do what you want.  I've applied a minimal effect, to avoid making the connectors look golden, but you can get quite extreme if you want to.

Warm.png

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

If you change them to gold connectors you can charge twice the price for them :D

cablegold.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I thought about this from a more photographic background.  Two possibilities would be to add 

1. Layer > New Adjustment Layer > White Balance…   OR
  2. Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Lens Filter…

In the first example, try starting out with White Balance set to around 10% – but leave the Tint set at 0%.  You could slowly boost the WB value, but I think you'd probably want to keep the Tint at 0%.

For the second example, the default Filter Colour is okay to start with, as is the Optical Density of 50%.  You could select a slightly warmer Filter Colour or tweak the density up or down (depending on the colour you've selected).

Cranking up the settings in either approach might require masking the cables to avoid introducing an unsuitable colour cast in an otherwise fairly neutral area.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

11 hours ago, Fixx said:

I would probably try first Curves and lower the blue channel gamma a bit. But then Curves is the tool I always try first...

I agree with you.

006 2019-10-04, 09_34_28.jpg

Warm up.afphoto

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

12 hours ago, Fixx said:

I would probably try first Curves and lower the blue channel gamma a bit. But then Curves is the tool I always try first...

Thanks for the help here @Fixx & excuse my ignorance here but how do i "lower the blue channel gamma a bit"?  ...i've never really played with the photo side of things before!

Any help is much appreciated!

12 hours ago, GaryLearnTech said:

I thought about this from a more photographic background.  Two possibilities would be to add 

1. Layer > New Adjustment Layer > White Balance…   OR
  2. Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Lens Filter…

In the first example, try starting out with White Balance set to around 10% – but leave the Tint set at 0%.  You could slowly boost the WB value, but I think you'd probably want to keep the Tint at 0%.

For the second example, the default Filter Colour is okay to start with, as is the Optical Density of 50%.  You could select a slightly warmer Filter Colour or tweak the density up or down (depending on the colour you've selected).

Cranking up the settings in either approach might require masking the cables to avoid introducing an unsuitable colour cast in an otherwise fairly neutral area.

Hi @GaryLearnTech  ...thanks for the help but in the White balance option where do i find the "tint"?

Annotation 2019-10-04 095355.jpg

3 minutes ago, Gigatronix Pete said:

Thanks for the help here & excuse my ignorance here but how do i "lower the blue channel gamma a bit"?  ...i've never really played with the photo side of things before!

Any help is much appreciated!

Add a curves adjustment, then under the histogram there is a dropdown selection for the channel (normally set on Master), switch it to blue. Then, just click and drag on the middle of the line in the histogram and drag down a bit ... it's a live preview so you'll see immediately the effect this has on the image. The histogram is showing the levels in the image ranging from shadows on the left to highlights on the right, and you'll see a peak (or maybe several peaks) where most of your image is sat in that range. You can create several points on the curve and drag them around to affect maybe only the darker areas or create an s-curve to enhance or reduce contrast in a particular tone range. By choosing blue channel you'll only be affecting the levels of the blue, therefore having an effect on the hues in the image, pulling down making it less blue and pushing up increasing the blue and making the image cooler. By using curves you can leave the white area alone, whereas colour balance will have a more general effect.

7 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Add a curves adjustment, then under the histogram there is a dropdown selection for the channel (normally set on Master), switch it to blue. Then, just click and drag on the middle of the line in the histogram and drag down a bit ... it's a live preview so you'll see immediately the effect this has on the image. The histogram is showing the levels in the image ranging from shadows on the left to highlights on the right, and you'll see a peak (or maybe several peaks) where most of your image is sat in that range. You can create several points on the curve and drag them around to affect maybe only the darker areas or create an s-curve to enhance or reduce contrast in a particular tone range. By choosing blue channel you'll only be affecting the levels of the blue, therefore having an effect on the hues in the image, pulling down making it less blue and pushing up increasing the blue and making the image cooler. By using curves you can leave the white area alone, whereas colour balance will have a more general effect.

Fab  ...thanks very much @Dazzler :)

4 hours ago, Gigatronix Pete said:

Hi @GaryLearnTech  ...thanks for the help but in the White balance option where do i find the "tint"? 

Tint is your green/magenta slider.

2019-10-04_14-25-58.png.69e0a2cb89b31cfc0d88a79f1c8142e3.png

—— Gary ——

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

No worries!  You have a good weekend too.  :) 

—— Gary ——